SSTT lower dB

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ToddF249

SSTT lower dB

Post by ToddF249 »

Love the sound of the SSTT on my '23 ND with the mixing baffle inserted all the way (all treble). However there are times when I'd like to lower the volume.

Would the Packed Blocking Baffle Insert (60-1325SSTT) achieve a lower dB level without affecting the tone?

Also, what's the difference in the Packed Blocking Baffle vs Glass Packed Baffle Insert for TWIN TIP versions of SuperStreet and SuperQ (60-1324T)?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: SSTT lower dB

Post by Brian »

Sorry, packed baffle would lower db and lower the tone, the packing material has much more impact on reducing the higher frequencies. Thus, my own personal choice with that muffler is mixing baffle all the way in or just one position from all the way in, the more packing we show to the sound the more we lower the frequency mix and doing the packed baffle puts a lot more of the upper frequency magic into the packing materials.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ToddF249

Post by ToddF249 »

Thanks for the insight, Brian!

What difference is there in sound with the packed baffle compared to the glass packed baffle?

Todd
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Looking on the site I see we currently have the glass packed baffle for twin tips, and a packed blocking baffle for the SSTT. They are different, only the glass packed baffle has fiberglass, the 'Packed Blocking Baffle' is much thinner wall and just stainless mesh as the media. But the impact is similar, they both cut more treble. The glass packed baffle cuts more db, but flow is better with the bigger diameter 'Packed Blocking Baffle'.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ToddF249

Post by ToddF249 »

Awesome to know, thanks again.