MX5 NC AERO Project...Carbon Hardtop, Flat Bottom, Diffuser

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You guys are all too sharp, that's right...releasing the pressure from the bumper. And if you run the center tunnel panels this is the exit/draw for the flow through the tunnel. That's right v67gsr, we didn't go full DTM style and open things up behind the rear wheels because I figure most folks will not want to be that radical (though a customer could certainly take our diffuser to the next level if they wanted to).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

Brian wrote:You guys are all too sharp, that's right...releasing the pressure from the bumper. And if you run the center tunnel panels this is the exit/draw for the flow through the tunnel. That's right v67gsr, we didn't go full DTM style and open things up behind the rear wheels because I figure most folks will not want to be that radical (though a customer could certainly take our diffuser to the next level if they wanted to).
That’s true. You have to consider customer feedback when designing parts. Individual like me who create his own one off design can go as “radical” as he wants without worrying about feedback except our beloved cops.

On the technical side, do you think those holes are sufficient enough to draw enough air flow through the center channel for heat dispenses purpose? Inside my yet to finalize design I am thinking of adding a piece of “fin” like panel mounting at 45 degree downward on the front edge of the flat panels to force feed cold air into the center channel. Together with the rear open (similar to yours but in bigger scale and more simple design) it should provide sufficient air flow. But it is likely to have ground clearance issue. Another design is to use a sheet metal notcher to open series of slot vents along the center channel so the high speed air flow under the panels will draw hot air out. However that will disrupt the air flow, not to mention I don’t have access to such machine, yet.

Anyhow, I will wait for your answer on this one. I can’t do any road test until the weather is warm enough.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We are sharing the same brain. Starting with a NACA style flush open space up front for the air and see how much flow we get. Have considered adding some shallow scoop only as needed. Will see...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

I can almost guarantee we can be good (best) friends if we ever locate in the same area. We share the same vision, same passion, and same craziness toward our cars. Our only difference is that you do it for the love of the sport and business but I do it just for the love of the sport. However, this is also the best bonding element between workshop buddies because there is no conflict of interest ($).
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

Since we are at such “radical” topic, let’s keep it up. Have you ever consider the anti-slosh fuel tank foam? We all run in minimal fuel load but that’s still approx 3 to 4 gal of fuel swinging around inside the fuel tank. Any mean to minimize fuel movement is a plus. Consider the cost of those foam, it is rather cheap upgrade with promising result.
Greg Tilkens

Post by Greg Tilkens »

This is just plain cool! Brian, you said on Miata.net that you were going to do this over the holidays - I guess you don't fool around!

One question - muffler. Does your rear diffuser incorporate a stock type (dual tip) muffler?
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

To answer your question for him.

I strongly believe his diffuser is design around his RS muffler. Stock one is HUGE and it will block the diffuser.
Greg Tilkens

Post by Greg Tilkens »

Well that's OK, I know where to get the RS muffler :wink:

I've been reluctant to replace my stock muffler for I don't want to open up anymore of the "parachute" effect of the rear bumper cover...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

v67gsr is right again! We are building the diffuser around the RoadsterSport Race....figuring the diffuser is for the hardcore track users anyway. However, assuming we get products out of this effort, my plan is to sell the flat bottom and diffuser as separate items. Thus, customers spending more time in the real world could certainly do the flat bottom and realize both more MPG during the week and higher track speeds on the weekend.

The other thought that comes to mind is a big brother version of our Race muffler.....another single that is bigger and fits with the diffuser. Prototype of that is going on the car next week. That might make the diffuser slightly more practical for some...
Last edited by Brian on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ptr622

Post by ptr622 »

Brian wrote: big brother version of our Race muffler.....another single that is bigger
I guess it will be more silent than the race. keep us posted, I am interested in one!