225/45/15's on 15x6.5 40mm?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Fella

225/45/15's on 15x6.5 40mm?

Post by Fella »

I pretty sure I want to mount this size tire(r-compound) on this rim (Konig Helium). I'm a little worried about rubbing. Car is 05' MSM with stock susupension. Will this combo work without rubbing?

Also.. I'll more than likely mod the suspension in the future with Konis and Ground Control coilovers , or maybe the Bilstein PSS set up.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks,

Carl
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, this combo will work without rubbing. But, it is not ideal.

You will get more performance out of the 225s if you put them on wider rims. Although stock class guys run 225s on stock 15x6 rims, and a 15x6.5 would obviously be better, when given the choice I prefer a minimum of 15x7 for this size...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fella

Post by Fella »

Thanks Brian glad to hear they wont rub.

One question. What is "not ideal"? What is the benefit to running an extra .5in? More important how much of a negitive affect to running a half inch narrower?

I'll be putting my order this week.

Ok Ok it was three questions;)

Again thanks

Carl
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The 225/45/15 tire is 9 inches wide...and the best performance for that tire is going to be a rim that is giving the sidewalls of the tire good support. When we shove that 9 inch tire onto a 6 or 6.5 wide rim we end up with a combination that feels very sloppy. Yes, it works, but it does not feel sharp on turn-in and is not confidence inspiring to drive on.

The more support you give the sidewalls the sharper the turn-in will be and the more grip you will actually get out of the wide tire.

This is why serious sports cars usually have a rim width to tire width ratio of 90% and more....while old luxury cars tend to make due with as little as 70% ratios.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fella

Post by Fella »

Brian,
Ok gotcha but...would the lower weight (lets say 2-4lbs) of the 15x6.5 offset most of the negitive effects of the smaller wheel? If not, those Konig Rewinds look real tasty too!

Thanks,

Carl
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Although I am fanatic about going for lower weight...going two pounds lighter in a 6.5 will do little to make up for the sloppy feeling sidewall support as compared with a 7 inch rim using that same 225. Then again, go with something like our RP-F1 for your 7 inch rim and you can be lighter than our 6.5 rims and have the sidewall support.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Fella

Post by Fella »

Brian,

Thanks for helping me out with this decision. I ordered up some Rota Slipstreams ,so I got a light 15x7 wheel that will support my tire better and at a reasonable price.

We'll do business again in the future.

Later

Carl