Upper Wishbone Pivot Bolt

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
simnaj

Upper Wishbone Pivot Bolt

Post by simnaj »

Last weekend when I was installing new RB springs and Koni shocks I noticed that the Ball Joint Dust Boots were cracked and in need of replacing.

I tried to follow the procedures found in a well known "Enthusiast" manual. However I ran into troubles trying to remove the pivot bolt. I was able to unscrew and remove the bolt and washer, unfortunately for the life of me I could not get that darn bolt pulled out.

Hoping someone here has also experienced this and can offer suggestions...

Thanks!
simnaj

Post by simnaj »

BELOW ARE SOME RESPONSES I RECEIVED ON MIATA.NET:

RESPONSE (1): In addition to removing the sway bar bolts into the bracket, I apply pressure with a pry bar to the end of the bolt while turning the head back & forth with a box end. That moves it out enough that I can then get the pry bar behind the head of the bolt. After the first few inches, it moves more easily.

RESPONSE (2): Grabbing the control arm and wiggling it side to side might help as well if it's trapping the bolt.
simnaj

Post by simnaj »

Oh yeah, just for clarification...

I am referring to the long bolt that holds the upper front control arm to the subframe.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

And finally, sticking a screw driver in the opposite side and applying some taps to the end of that against the retreating bolt may be helpful in getting it pushed out.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com