suspension upgrade

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
plohl

Re: suspension upgrade

Post by plohl »

Hi,
I'm just trying to find some info regarding the ohlins coilovers, such as weight, the dyno curves and how much adjustment they have? I understand that a bigger the number of adjustment is not necessarily better, but haven't been able to find this in my research.
I have a NA6C and have been looking at my options for coilovers, being in Australia, there are not as many options. Brands I have been looking at include locally tien, HSD, Yellow Speed Racing, BC and Bilstein (although, these are stupidly expensive in aus). Would love to purchase the Ohlins, however would need to justify the extra costs. The car is going to be set up for hill climbs, sprints and will also be my daily/weekend car (dont drive it too much during the week, plus I'm young and don't really mind a rough ride haha). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
plohl
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have posted the Ohlins dyno here a few times, I can try and locate it tomorrow. We have the Ohlins on both our NCLIGHT project and our supercharged 2007. Got our Ohlins RACE kit version in the supercharged 2007 but just the off the shelf standard Ohlins kit in NCLIGHT. NCLIGHT is so light and stiff it just didn't need the stiffer springs of the Race version to win events like the NARRA Time Trials two weeks ago (see other threads). Just one adjustment knob. Very light.....several pounds lighter per corner than the Motons I had on NCLIGHT.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
plohl

Post by plohl »

Thanks for the reply Brian. With regards to the number of adjustments on the shock, I was after the number of "clicks" each shock has. I also tried search for the dyno graphs but did not have much luck.

Cheers
plohl
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

What do you guys think about the JIC FLT-FAS and BC racing BR series coilovers,as to quality of parts and performance?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

JIC is in the process of change to all made-in-the-USA product and we have yet to see the new product. Similarly, not enough experience with the other two choices to say much.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

But what do you think about JIC's present coilovers?getting a close out set for $1150 new.the BC racing i'm seeing for around $1000.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, new for that low cost is a pretty good deal. We ran them for a while with good results.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

We had the JICs on our CSP car when we first started running it, and while certainly not the best shock out there, they worked quite well for us. We eventually moved up to Motons and it was an incredible difference, but they were also 3+ times the price.

The JICs were excellent on the street and the ability to set ride height independently was also very nice.

Bottom line, for $1150 new, I'd be all over them if I had a street car still.

Ron
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

Thanks for the replies guys.was leaning towards the JIC's more but was reading that they are a twin tube design.Isn't a mono tube design superior?
sjd

Post by sjd »

I'll echo that the JIC's are great bang for the buck. I bought mine used for $600 and am running them with 12K/7K Swift springs and have been very competitive. Also, mine are monotube since they are the FLT-TAR. I'm not familiar with the FLT-FAS though.
2010 Competition Yellow MX-5.