preventive maintenance questions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
sunrunner

preventive maintenance questions

Post by sunrunner »

So I have an '01 LS with 85k on the odometer. It's never been touched as far as any mods or maintenance, aside from oil changes and such. I am getting ready to do preventive maintenance like the timing belt/water pump/thermostat/hoses/belts/plugs/wires. I have some oil seepage on the valve cover and another one somewhere to attend to. The car runs good, no issues with anything besides a weird kind of hesitation when it's cold. If I let the clutch all the way out, the car bogs a little bit at lower acceleration rates. If I push the clutch in about a quarter, the hesitation goes away and she revs fine. This only occurs in the first minute or so; I don't notice it when she warms up or once I get into the power band a couple times.

My question is: what else should I do while I have it opened up? Do I need to be concerned about the head gasket? Could I do a head plane on it to squeeze some more power out of it? She's a barkless dog with the a/c running. Is there certain head gaskets to avoid? Are there simple plug/wire/ignition upgrades I can get some power from? I don't plan on racing it, but I do like to drive a little agressive with it in the twisties. All opinions are welcome.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: preventive maintenance questions

Post by Brian »

Relatively speaking, 85K is still a young Miata. I would not bother touching the head gasket, it will likely last to at least twice your current mileage. The factory clutch was notorious for those issues you mention, but it can continue that way forever (the issue is not an indication of impending clutch failure). Fresh plugs and wires always a good idea on the Miata.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

What do you guys use to care for the NC's soft top?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We don't. Seriously, bunch of racers here with dirt under the fingernails and my Miatas are never the most clean at events. So, somebody else here will need to answer that one.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mitchman

Post by mitchman »

http://www.amazon.com/303-Vinyl-Convert ... 419&sr=8-3

Even though it's a race car, it needs to look nice and last for a long time. :)
'06 MX-5 (STR)
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

I don't even wash my car anymore after all the autocross/track time it's seen. In doing so it actually looks worse because you'll see all the dents, scratches, and etc ;) Really though if I could go back I would have paid closer attention to my vinyl top. I didn't clean it or use any chemicals on it so it ended up cracking and tearing. Since it was made in 2006 it lasted until just the end of 2010.

I have a cloth top now though so back to not caring ;)
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

mitchman wrote:http://www.amazon.com/303-Vinyl-Convert ... 419&sr=8-3

Even though it's a race car, it needs to look nice and last for a long time. :)
Thanks for the input guys.
Next question,are the NC's top vinyl or cloth type?
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Only the GT has a cloth top...all others are vinyl. My 2006 has nearly 70k miles and no signs of cracks or tears on the vinyl top...but I garage it overnight.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!