Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ptr622

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by ptr622 »

only PRHT has the foam filling in the suspension subframe!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ptr622 wrote:only PRHT has the foam filling in the suspension subframe!
Interesting, that explains why I had not noticed it before....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ptr622

Post by ptr622 »

06-08 does not any model have it. only 09+ PRHT
this was one of the changes they made during the facelift.
Cyberbug

Post by Cyberbug »

Whats the thickness of these sway bars (or did I miss that)

How do they compare to others?
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Cyberbug wrote:Whats the thickness of these sway bars (or did I miss that)

How do they compare to others?
Yes, I'd love to see some numbers on the spring rates or comparison to other common choices.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
mazdaracerchick

Post by mazdaracerchick »

Hi guys, this is Andi…also known as “the wife”, I have been enjoying reading everyone’s comments and suggestions for my new car and I wanted to join in on the fun.

First of all, I have to tell you how much I LOVE THIS CAR! I have a permanent smile on my face when I am driving because it is just that much fun.

Before getting the 2012 MX5 PRHT I thought what I drove didn’t really matter as long as it ran smoothly, didn’t break down, etc. It was simply a means to get where you wanted to go…well that was before my MX5. Now I create errands so I can go drive this car. I am a total convert…guess I married the right guy after all :wink:

Within the first week or so Brian put on our RoadsterSport “Q”. I LOVE THIS EXHAUST! I have to admit that it makes me feel pretty bad a** 8) with the upgraded sound and performance. It has the perfect balance of subtlety and “yeah that’s right this is my car”. It makes heads turn to look without you having to turn up the music. Soft when you aren’t pushing it but shows off when you want it to. I think you get my point!

One of my comments when we were taking it up some twisties was that it felt soft. I was getting pushed around in the passenger seat so we decided to put on some sway bars.

We are testing out the Progress sways and so far so good. They really stabilize the car and take out that lean that I hate. I like to feel level and balanced when taking a turn at speed not like I am going to fall out of the car or lick the pavement. These achieve that for me…and there is no compromise to comfort so it’s a win/win.

Please keep the comments coming and I look forward to your help in creating my ultimate daily driver!

Cheers,

Andi
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Updates....

Solved the minor issue with the swap bar bracket fitment (go back to page 3 for updated picture).

What wheel for this project? The top trim level of PRHT GT has quite a bit of BLING, chrome door handles, trim around the grille, etc. Thinking the best match to set that off is the SBC finish Enkei wheels. But what size? This is not a race car, intended as super sport street toy and we want to make ride BETTER, not worse. Thus, total weight needs to be less! And, I don't want to make footprint too big and start having it hunt and grab every pavement irregularity. These ideas have me thinking of a conservative upgrade such as SBC finish RPF1 in 17x8 or 17x7.5. But, part of me really likes the Enkei PFO1 in 17x8 50mm.....perhaps special ordering 40 of them in SBC finish which would help them match the car....and take another half pound off them to get them closer to the ultra light RPF1

Thinking of making PRHT version of our current tail Spoiler....

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

The spoiler looks a little "much" for the classy street car. As for wheels, why not lean towards better ride by going to something in 16"?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, indeed this car may need rear spoiler that is a touch more conservative. Could do something in between our current unit and stock and paint it body color to match?

I have not been happy with most 16 inch that actually fits this car (most 16 don't fit). I also want to leave the door open for this "Super Sport" project to potentially get lighter brakes with four piston calipers and most 16 inch won't clear four piston calipers. We found with our original 2006 and RX7 16x8 wheels that we actually got even better ride quality when we sold that combo and used lighter brakes that saved us another 4 pounds of unsprung weight per side off the front. Those wheels are hard to get now, and don't hold up that well. I also found it tough to deal with the spring rate of the 16 inch combo and the total diameter we need, but perhaps that was an issue of the particular Falken we tried in the tall 225/50/16. I do rather like the factory RX8 16 inch wheels and they are easily available, but that brake clearance issue makes me think twice on those.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

As you know, the stock brakes work very well, so going to four-pot calipers seems like a real waste for a street car. Going to two-piece rotors in stock size might be worthwhile for the weight savings, though.