05 NB Speed or NC?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
FloridaWriter

05 NB Speed or NC?

Post by FloridaWriter »

I am seriously considering buying a MX5, either a new or low miles 05 Mazdaspeed or an NC. Given the choice, which would you buy? I like the time tested nature of the mature B model and the Speed mods. I think the NC may not handle as well out of the box. Any observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Maitland, FL
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Your current observations about sums it up. Out of the box the NC feels heavy and soft in the corners compared with the best of the NBs. But, the NC certainly feels faster in a straight line as compared with all except the MazdaSpeed NB for which it is a close match.

However, the NC certainly feels more modern, up to date. The chasis is much more solid and the brakes are better. IF you are a tall person like I am (6'2), then you will also fit easier in the more roomy NC.

In the end, no substitute for driving them both yourself to see which fits you better but I do prefer the NC over the NB....after we fixed the suspension.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
FloridaWriter

Cost of "fixing" the NC suspension

Post by FloridaWriter »

What is a rough estimate for the sway bars and coil overs that you have added?

Thanks for the quick reply.

David
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We sell the Eibach/MazdaSpeed sways for $289. We sell the JIC coilovers for $1799.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
FloridaWriter

Thanks!

Post by FloridaWriter »

Sounds like your solution will be part of the purchase price for me on an NC.

Thanks,

David
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

And certainly there are cheaper solutions. The most popular so far is matching those sway bars above with the Eibach spring kit on the factory shocks. I have driven that setup and it works great...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
FloridaWriter

Factory shocks

Post by FloridaWriter »

By factory shocks do you mean the bilstien upgrade or the oem shocks?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Factory shocks

Post by Brian »

FloridaWriter wrote:By factory shocks do you mean the bilstien upgrade or the oem shocks?
On both factory shocks...the standard and the bilsteins.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
toddwcarpenter

Post by toddwcarpenter »

Besides a much thinner wallet :D , what do the JIC's give you in performance that the Eibach springs/sway do not.

I understand you can cornerweigh the car, tune your damping, and keep full travel. What I mean specifically is how much does the end result differ for someone who would mainly use the car for spirited street driving?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Probably not. The JIC setup is designed for the guy that takes his car to the track on the weekend. Therefore, the spirited street driver using the Eibach springs and sways is not giving up much that they would actually miss...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com