NEW LONG TUBE HEADERS.....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ronbauer

Re: NEW LONG TUBE HEADERS.....

Post by ronbauer »

The PPE setup has a bigger cat and bigger resonator. Although my autocross car and daily driver don't both have the DP Tune done (autocross only), I'm of the opinion that the GWR header/midpipe combo is louder. Race car has PPE, daily has GWR - both have Roadstersport mufflers.

Ron
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

Do you have another event coming up sometime in the near future? I would be interested in stopping by just to hear the setup.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Panic.button wrote:Do you have another event coming up sometime in the near future? I would be interested in stopping by just to hear the setup.
My NC with supercharger won't help answer that question...

But most of the guys in STR class are running either the long tube or our RoadsterSport setup. So, attend any SCCA autocross event and watch the STR class. Our next local event is June 24th...but no idea who will run what at that event.

Since Ron owns both setups, that's the best data we have so far, and he perceived the PPE setup to be more quiet. I do remember and noted in the prior pages that I was impressed when I heard it at event here with the how the PPE sound level and tone is quite reasonable.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Panic.button

Post by Panic.button »

Sounds great! I'll stop by for that event.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Heads up...we are getting a late rush on our Long Tube PPE headers by drivers heading for Nationals and I expect we will be sold out by next week. Production time on the next batch will take 4 weeks. Thus... anybody who 'must have it' for Nationals is encouraged to order it soon.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Re: Pst.......Something NEW...First Look!

Post by Chris Thompson »

amoore311 wrote:How would this compare, performance wise, to the standard roadstersport exhaust Brian?

I am a few weeks away from ordering my roadstersport header and mid pipe, if this option is going to offer a better performance alternative I'll go that route.
I assume this "head[er] to head[er]" test has not been done or did I miss it? No matter, I'll see you Saturday for your advice of which pipes are best for my car.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

I went with the PPE LTH with Roadsterport "Q" muffler. This system/combo most certainly provides a substantial kick in power levels. I'm not a dyno guy so no I have no numbers to provide. I have every reason to believe the published dyno numbers are accurate if not understated. Even with my car running the Q instead of a race single, it feels very strong. Both the PPE and the Roadster Sport Q are also very nicely made products. Installed last Saturday in my driveway in a few relaxed hours along with some other upgrade items using a normal assortment of tools. I am quite certain that Moto-Mike's programming will bring the package to an even higher level for my autocrossing pleasure.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
ptr622

Post by ptr622 »

how is the sound level?
how is compared to your previous system? (what was that?)
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

ptr622 wrote:how is the sound level?
how is compared to your previous system? (what was that?)
I assume you are asking me.

First I installed the Q on my otherwise stock car. Not loud at all and I could swear it did increase performance just by it's self. The Q muffler is really nice compared to the moaning stock muffler.

Then a few days later I installed the rest of the system. At first the increase in sound level with the full PPE Long Tube Header exhaust system was a bit of a shock even though I expected some increase. What I didn't expect was how sharp the tone would be...like a trumpet. A bit too "ricer" sounding for an old fart like me. I underestimated how much sound the front catalytic converter controls.

But for several days now I have been driving with the reducing baffles removed. The reducers are included with the Q muffler and occupy the spot in the tips where you would put the optional sound baffles Good-Win sells. The sound is much deeper without the reducers and I am starting to appreciate it more after driving it like this for a few days. I also think it increased performance with the reducers removed. I don't think it's as loud outside the car as I first thought although I have yet to hear my car drive by me. It barks pretty good and pops on deceleration. Love the power increase.

If quiet is important to you then you better stick with the stock manifold or at least a header with a cat and add a Q. Brian knows best. Just tell him what your needs are.
wrh3

Post by wrh3 »

I'm running the same setup you are Chris, and never even heard the car with the baffles installed- they came out right away. To be honest, I don't think it is a lot louder than OE with the top/windows up on my PRHT but with either of those down it just sounds sporty......I really expected it to be louder but it is perfect for me. My car sees ~1000 miles a week so drone is something I would not have. Like most mods, this is all fairly subjective- if anyone in the Atlanta area is thinking about doing it and wants to hear the sound, send me a PM.
Bill - 2011 Miata SE
billswebspace.com