NEW LONG TUBE HEADERS.....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chris Thompson

Re: NEW LONG TUBE HEADERS.....

Post by Chris Thompson »

rpmchris wrote:PPE long tube header and front 1/2 of their midpipe, with a CoastFab muffler (250x625x17) and downturn where the resonator used to be...exits at the diff. Sound is legal (90-95db range).
That's cool, Chris! I assume it's a bit more noisy in the cockpit with the top up then when it was PPE/Magnaflow and muffler? Save much weight?

Also, off topic: Did you buy a CAI from Moto-Mike? I'm interested to see what you and ozmdd think after giving it a try. I'm not convinced (yet) it's worth the coin.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

I never had the whole system...just header and front half of the midpipe with cat. The muffler fit perfectly (could've been a couple inches longer but sound is legal as is). It is much louder inside the cabin so NOT suggested for street cars, but the turndown at the axles keeps the sound down outside the car...we blew 95.2 at the Mineral Wells Pro (cool, dry with little wind) and 92.4 at Taxas Motor Speedway this past Sunday (warm, humid and windy). My old system ( full GWR w/Street Single) was around 84-88 db.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

I also made the switch from Sniper to ECUTEK and yes, I'm testing Mike's CAI...will let everyone know how it goes!
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
MikeN009

Post by MikeN009 »

Love the header on this but the center pipe is a bit annoying. Seems to take a lot of work to get to fit right and even then it will still rub on something. To be honest I would pay the extra freight to get the center pipe in one piece.

It's been on my car a few months and just thought I would share some thoughts.
JeremyJ069

Post by JeremyJ069 »

you can just take it to a muffler shop, they can weld up the system and they can tweak the angle as well.

that being said, I though the mid pipe was 1 piece when I placed my order.
MikeN009

Post by MikeN009 »

Yeah I plan to replace the resinator with a burns stainless next season and have it welded on.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hey Chris or anybody with PPE and Q....have you done sound clip?

We got another batch of 10 PPE Long tube headers ready to ship and somebody is asking if we have sound clip of the Q on PPE long tube header setup. I don't have that clip but I know folks like Chris here are running that combo.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Sorry, Brian. I don't have a sound clip. What's the best way for me to record one?
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Don't forget it pretty much sounds just like your blue car, Brian. Right?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks Chris! Yes, that autocross day we ran back to back by the sound meter and I was amazed that it showed the DB reading was the same....but I recall the character of the sound is slightly different even if the volume is the same. I have my memories of hearing your car that day and that it sounded great...but I wish now that I had thought to record it with a GoPro. Perhaps I can put our GoPro in your car at the next event here in San Diego?

In the meantime, if you have a good cell phone with windshield suction cup mount take a video and that works out pretty good too.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com