Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Post by Brian »

My first NC was a "Winning Blue" 2006.....and now a Winning Blue is back in the Good-Win Racing Stables! Perhaps we should call it "Basic Blue" because this one is an absolute base model, no stereo controls on the steering wheel, no power locks.....a real base model MX5. The purity of it reminds me happily of my 2003 Club Sport. This one came to us from a local super nice member of the Coast Guard, he was selling it because he is getting transferred to a distant location. It's an amazingly clean example, and under 11k miles! We need it for some fitment and testing projects that I can't discuss further at this time but it's also my new daily driver, bringing me right back to the joy of my first NC experience.
Attachments
Me in Winning Blue MX5.JPG
Me in Winning Blue MX5.JPG (160.14 KiB) Viewed 61633 times
Winning Blue Project MX5s.JPG
Winning Blue Project MX5s.JPG (137.51 KiB) Viewed 61633 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mx52go

Re: Back in Winning Blue!

Post by mx52go »

Sweet :wink: ! Winning Blue is such a unique and somewhat rare color!
It kinda reminds me of another of your (Brian) early cars... your Laguna Blue NA from many years ago.
Can't wait to see what surprises you have up your sleeve for this car.
I saw it on CL, but did not give it a second though. Glad you did.
MX5MXIE

Post by MX5MXIE »

Congrats on owning another Winning Blue Miata!

I like to say that this is the "Winningest" color Mazda ever put on a Miata.

Just because I have one doesn't mean I am prejudiced! :)

I just LOVE the color. :D

Best wishes for whatever you do with it!
06 Winning Blue GT, aka Mxie; 6mt, Sport Susp Pkg, Prem Pkg 2, X-Pel Clear Bra, Wolo Air Horn, RoadsterSport "Q" + Mid-Pipe, RX8 Red/Yellow Dot Sways, + Kansai FST Brace.
2006 Winning Blue Registry Link
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks folks, I too have always been a fan of this color. In part it reminded me somewhat of "Laguna Blue" on my first 94 Miata. I owned several Laguna Blue Miatas and my brother (our Shop Manager Brad Goodwin), currently drives one of my former Laguna Blue Miatas. AND...the head mechanic here, Rocky, owns yet another Laguna Blue! And, our 2004 RX8 was a "Winning Blue". I had a lot of happy track days in that Winning Blue RX8 and later our first Winning Blue MX5 2006. Fortunately, I kept a few bottles of the touchup paint. :wink:
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

So folks, what should we do with our good looking new toy? About a month with our new project and so far the only mod is to take off that front license plate holder! :shock: Nonetheless, our new project car has been busy getting tested and scanned. Digitally scanned, complete scans for example of the underhood area that can be used for all sorts of fun stuff (and answer questions like: where could you fit that new supercharger...or runners for a custom intake manifold, etc. :wink: ).

Driving a totally stock NC has honestly been 'pleasant' like a nice nap is pleasant, good for me but rather boring! In stock form this gorgeous toy makes for a strong contrast with our 2012 Project PRHT. The 2012 with our RoadsterSport Street header and Q exhaust sounds better, goes faster, and thanks to the Progress Springs and Sways also handles much better in every turn. The difference is night and day, the 2012 is more fun at any speed and I have been dying to grab a wrench and dive into this car. Soon we will start doing that... Perhaps use our new urethane Super20 flares? Perhaps new blower design? Not sure yet, but love to hear ideas that folks have.

Will likely start with base dyno runs soon. I am messing around with some redesigns of our Roadstersport Street Single muffler and need to get some dyno data.
Attachments
Project Blue.jpg
Project Blue.jpg (107.47 KiB) Viewed 61379 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

:idea:
1. How about your take on a MX-5 1-G ( i.e. street legal car ) with street tires? ( Cali, legal intake & exhaust system? ) Being many of your buyers live in your state. Plus many Miata owners have a limited budget. ( Best bang for the buck! ) 225/45-17's tires, wheels 17x8 45et (to show what fits under the fenders with-out rolling the fenders) shocks, springs, sways, muffler & Intake.

2. Or, how about showing us your take on an STR car? Using your "BEST MX5 MIATA COILOVER", Ohlins with 7kg front and 4kg rear springs & OEM L/S rear end?

3. You said the car is a base car, so you could add cruise control to the car. From what I read all that is needed is the steering wheel controls.

:?:
AZ
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

I understand the 2012 PRHT is your soft(er) daily driver project, so how about turning this Miata into the hard core daily driver? This would be for those who autocross or track their daily driver on weekends. It seems your other projects have drifted into dedicated weekend toys...

Matthew
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

matthew-m wrote:I understand the 2012 PRHT is your soft(er) daily driver project, so how about turning this Miata into the hard core daily driver? This would be for those who autocross or track their daily driver on weekends. It seems your other projects have drifted into dedicated weekend toys...

Matthew
Thanks guys, lots of good ideas....picking up on comments from both AZ Sun Lover and Mattew, I agree the 2006 should be a more aggressive street toy than the 2012.

The 2012 has reached a point where it is really fun to drive as is.....and my wife loves it as is. Thus, I am thinking currently that we will keep the 2012 going in the current direction it is heading: more performance without any compromises. The 2012 is now really fun to drive yet still as comfortable as stock and I think we will not boost it, but perhaps reflash the ECU for a few more HP, finish the Progress PRHT springs project, go to even lighter but just barely more aggressive SBC finish Enkei RP-F1 17x7.5 wheel fitment and complete a big brake kit currently in the works that fits stock wheels to drop another five or more pounds of unsprung weight off each front corner to make even better handling WITH even better ride quality, etc.

Then this 2006 would be free to be more aggressive street toy and weekend autocross toy with even more power and handling, forced induction or custom intake manifold, coilovers instead of just mild spring upgrade, perhaps our Super20 flares with far more aggressive 17x9 RP-F1 fitment and end up with really fast street toy we can run STR or SSM class autocross, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Brian wrote:So folks, what should we do with our good looking new toy?
CARB legal power please.

EDIT: and yes, I would like to see the SEMA flares with 9" wheels. those flares might look good on my '08 too but don't want to be the Guinea pig.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

A few customers have done them nicely on their race cars, can't recall seeing a nicely finished set on a street MX5 yet.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com