NC - racing seats

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
skeeler

Re: NC - racing seats

Post by skeeler »

DanR,

Are you who I think you are? If so, or if not, can you post some photos with both seats in place? The Imola seems like the perfect seat for the NC. How did you solve the wiring problem on the passenger side?

Off-topic: Incidentally, in the '95, I'm running the Racer Pro on the driver side and the Suzuka Pro on the passenger side.

Thanks.

Michael G
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

rpmchris wrote:I've been pleased with the Sparco Fighter. It's similar to the Evo 2 in size (a bit wider), and fits well, plus it has more "anti wear" material on the fabric so it's good on a daily driver like mine. See my posts on this forum...
Hi Chris, I know it's a bit of a moot point this far, but how do you feel about the difference between your Sparco seats and the stock seats with airbags as far as road-safety goes? I know your car is a DD and auto X car. I'm sure this has crossed your mind at some point.

Also, do you attach the harness to a seat rail bar or something. I notice you don't run a roll bar.

I've been toying with the idea of trading my PRHT for a soft top, probably since the day I bought it, haha. And... adding a roll bar and racing seats.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

eluviis wrote:
rpmchris wrote:I've been pleased with the Sparco Fighter. It's similar to the Evo 2 in size (a bit wider), and fits well, plus it has more "anti wear" material on the fabric so it's good on a daily driver like mine. See my posts on this forum...
Hi Chris, I know it's a bit of a moot point this far, but how do you feel about the difference between your Sparco seats and the stock seats with airbags as far as road-safety goes? I know your car is a DD and auto X car. I'm sure this has crossed your mind at some point.

Also, do you attach the harness to a seat rail bar or something. I notice you don't run a roll bar.

I've been toying with the idea of trading my PRHT for a soft top, probably since the day I bought it, haha. And... adding a roll bar and racing seats.
When I first started riding motorcycles, my Rider Safety Instructor shared his view on risk, and I've adopted this view. Risk is like an open window; the more you open it, the more risk you are exposed to, but you also increase your opportunities to see, smell, hear, and feel what the world has to offer. Keep the "risk window" closed, and you have very little risk, but also fewer opportunities to experience what life has to offer. How far you open the window is up to you.

It's always risky to drive on the street, whether you're a driver or a passenger in a car or on a motorcycle. That said, I've survived driving for almost 40 years riding a motorcycle and driving a car without airbags in my seats or steering wheel (while having very few even minor accidents), so it wasn't really much of a decision especially considering the limited street use my MX-5 sees now. That's the way my car is going; I only drive it a few miles each day if at all, and that will stop once I have another DD and the MX-5 goes on a trailer permanently. And the risk of injury is nearly ZERO at an autocross...I'm more likely to get into trouble being dehydrated in the Texas heat!

I have only the OEM "rollbar" even though I could (and probably will) replace it with something Brian has to offer. I'm also using the stock seat belts, with the Cam Lock device on the driver's belt to hold me in place better (I'll get a full harness once the rollbar is installed - my class rules don't allow the harness without a rollbar above the helmeted head).

I'm also hoping Mazda will introduce a soft top delete package with a removable hardtop (not the PHRT) while the NC is still on the market so I can take mine off!
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris. Really appreciate it. BTW, congrats on the write up about your car on Zoom-zoom. Just got my issue in the mail the other day and saw it.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

eluviis wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Chris. Really appreciate it. BTW, congrats on the write up about your car on Zoom-zoom. Just got my issue in the mail the other day and saw it.
:oops: Thanks - I'm humbled at the comments I've received.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
Timothy5509

Post by Timothy5509 »

I have been sitting in a lot of different seats in the past week. One that stuck out as fitting me very well was and Ultra Shield RS. It was in a NA miata so I don't thing there would be an issue of fitting in my NC. Anybody have any experience with installing these seats in a NC? The ones I found are all bottom mount on custom rails.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

I have one as a spare for my race car (NA). It's mounted to use on the passenger side for training, on the stock rails, and works fine. Bear in mind that the car has no interior parts to interfere, however.
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

Hey does anyone know if the RX8 seats bolts up in the NC miata?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It has been done, think I saw pics of that at Club Roadster forum
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jetkins

Post by jetkins »

Resurrecting an old thread here. My '09 NC's driver's seat is in the process of breaking after five years of track, autocross, rallycross, and daily driving, and as they say - when it breaks, upgrade!

I'm currently leaning towards the Cobra Imola, for the trade-off between support and ease of ingress/egress - I'm not as athletic as I used to be. I was wondering how one goes about attaching the OEM seat belt buckle - no harnesses in this baby, yet - and what mounting options are available. I'd like to get as low as possible while still retaining fore-and-aft adjustment.

Thanks!