Problem after brake job - '01

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Miata&WRX

Problem after brake job - '01

Post by Miata&WRX »

I’ve run into a problem while doing a brake job on my ’01 with sport brakes. Car has 30k miles. I replaced the stock pads with Porterfield R4S pads and had the rotors turned because of deposits in the rotors causing pulsing with the old pads. Everything went back together fine. However, when I apply the brakes the right front “crunches� or “pops� every rotation. Did a search here and went back, pulled it all apart, recleaned and lubed the slide pins, added a little brake grease between the shim and pads, made sure there was nothing between the rotor and hub and reinstalled.

It still does it, getting worse as the brakes are applied harder. It doesn’t do it for a few revolutions if the brakes are applied very lightly but does become evident after a few revolutions (heat?). It doesn’t do it when backing up. Don’t see any evident crack in the turned rotor (plenty of thickness remaining). I did put the wear indicator clip on the new pad.

Any idea what I did wrong? What next?

Thanks.

Leo