not liking the feel of the NC sport suspension

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
drobbins

not liking the feel of the NC sport suspension

Post by drobbins »

Hi there,

I'm in need of some suspension suggestions.

When my NC was brand new (October 2005,) the sport suspension seemed great (was driving in the suburbs of Seattle) and seemed to be quite solid.

With only 3000 miles on the car, now driving in Albuquerque (roads are a bit bumpier here,) the suspension feels more and more like a wobbly mess, with some surprising harshness. I put 16" wheels on the car to try to help, and I even keep my tire pressure at 29 psi cold, and it helps some but not significantly. It feels harsh on bumpy roads at normal speeds, and feels quite a bit harsher than normal on colder days. It's not as bad at faser speeds (strangely) but can be unpleasant bouncing around on local roads at 35-40mph. When I increase tire pressure even to 32 psi, there seems a noticeable increase in harshness and the car seems to bounce around a lot more. On hot days, ride quality seems to improve significantly, and on colder days, it gets worse. I am not sure if I am just sensing how the temperature is affecting the tire pressure and rubber compound, or if this is something else.

A local suspsension shop says that there's nothing "wrong" with my suspension, and that the NC's suspsension is designed to give feedback for every little bump on the road. He was concerned that if I were to go to aftermarket coilovers, I would perceive the ride quality to be worse, not better.

However, I liked the sport suspension when it was brand new, and it must have been quite a bit stiffer then. Is it possible that a firmer suspension can actually be more comfortable than a wobbly suspension?

I'd like to get the car set up so that it feels very well-planted on the road, and when going over bumps I would like to feel that the suspension is working for me and absorbing the shock in a controlled and progressive way. I'm hoping for a firm, controlled bounce rather than a "thud!" which is what I am getting now.

My overall impression is that the current suspension only feels "good" in very limited temperature/tire pressure ranges (warm temps, lowish pressure) and even on "good" days it's doesn't feel very controlled (although it's more comfortable.)

This is my first Miata - my previous car was a WRX, for reference. Based on this, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniel
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

No suggestions from what is currently available. Indeed, everything available is stiffer. However, to answer one of your particular questions, it is possible to be both better controled and yet better riding. I expect that result with KONI shocks when they become available because that has been our experience with them in the earlier Miatas. Should be available in the next few months.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
drobbins

Post by drobbins »

OK, thanks Brian.

I've gone ahead and ordered some books on car suspension design and theory so I can learn more about how different suspensions will affect the ride, handling and roadholding of the car. I think that'll help me to get a good plan together for what direction I'd like to go with the suspension. And they'll be fun to read too :)

-Daniel