RACE ND Reveal at SEMA

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: RACE ND Reveal at SEMA

Post by Brian »

daryledb wrote:When can we expect to see that sweet little twin turbo diesel in the ND?
Never....though I much like the idea myself.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

daryledb wrote:When can we expect to see that sweet little twin turbo diesel in the ND?
Given how tightly packaged the NA 1.5 is in the ND, I'm skeptical that at 2.2 with two turbos would fit.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Mazda folks explained to me that the Skyactive motors are chassis specific such that we won't be doing motor swaps like we do often now on the NC.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MalcolmD637

Post by MalcolmD637 »

Well a true 'roadster' would not have a top at all now would it. The MX5 Miata is not really a roadster, its a convertible. For marketing terms Mazda is using the term roadster. I guess if Mazda actaully sold it without a top to the general public as an option the term roadter could be correctly applied.
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Most definitions of "roadster" include any convertibles with one row of seats. An example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster_(automobile)
MalcolmD637

Post by MalcolmD637 »

The ND race car without any top will be a true roadster then as no top at all is possible. Driver will be getting a good bath in rainy events. I know as I have driven my Miata in full downpours. Its OK at speed but when below 65 mph its pretty wet. It will interesting to see at what speed airflow keeps driver reasonably dry in the ND. What is the lift going to be like at speed? The rear lip spoiler is pretty small.
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

I know I have a problem and I always fixate on stupid little details like this. :lol:

But does that exhaust tubing size look smaller on the race car than on a typical NC? It might make sense that they're running 2.25" exhaust, especially if it's the smaller 1.5L motor. The SA-G 1.5L could probably even use 2" exhaust if it's basically a sealed factory tune motor making 130-ish hp.

It looks like the rear subframe has been re-designed a little so that the exhaust doesn't have to make as much of a bend to pass under it, which should make it a little easier to route aftermarket setups, too. It's too bad that the diffuser cutout is on the passenger side, because it looks like you could cut the midpipe and have a nice straight shot at a single exiting out the drivers side.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

The Cup cars will have the 2.0 engine.
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

It's looking to be an interesting race car !

While I get the Roadster marketing objective, I hope someone offers an attractive well fitted removable hardtop. It would be great if Mazda would offer a track day version of the car having passenger side matching seats / restraints and a factory designed removable hard top. Mazdas are the most common race cars at evey race track in America, regardless of the racing organization. Miatas & MX-5s are also the most common cars at HPDE, track day & comp school events, with many of their drivers working towards acquiring their comp licenses. As an Instructor / Coach, a track day version of this car would be a great tool to help these aspiring racers reach their goals and would be a great marketing strategy at the same time, because often this is the first real performance exposure these Drivers / Students have to the capabilities of Mazda products. A removable hard top track day version of this car would likely become the most commonly used Instructor's / Coach's car at events all across the country, I'm ready to buy one now !
Last edited by Va MX5 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

The ND has body-color panels where the chrome plates surrounding the Frankenstein bolts used to be; that makes me suspect that Mazda has planned for those panels to be removed and replaced with something like what's on the older cars. I think they also offer a removable hard top.