PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:18 am

UPDATE for AVO TURBO

Ross at AVO reports they found the purge valve leaks under boost a lot and can cause slight hesitation with on/off throttle and light throttle when the purge valve opens and shuts.

You will want to fit a one way valve as shown here.
Attachments
AvoValve.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8534
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby ChristopherH060 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 am

[quote="Brian"]Ahh...proper seats!

Any recommendations on 'plug-n-play' seats? I need the 2" drop over the OEM seat, but this is still my daily and I'd love to find seats I can drop in for track days and HPDE events.
ChristopherH060
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am

ChristopherH060 wrote:
Brian wrote:Ahh...proper seats!

Any recommendations on 'plug-n-play' seats? I need the 2" drop over the OEM seat, but this is still my daily and I'd love to find seats I can drop in for track days and HPDE events.


I like the sparco choice we have in the Blue ND, and I am about 2 inches lower. Call and talk to Ryan at our sales line for details.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8534
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby ChristopherH060 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks. Struggling to find another ND on the local circuit to try some seats on for size.
ChristopherH060
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby ryanholt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Brian, any movement on the development of these "scoops"?

Brian wrote:Transmission cooling air scoop...for track users!

Tested with our turbo ND.

Coming to the site soon. Similar for diff also coming to site soon.
ryanholt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 am

ryanholt wrote:Brian, any movement on the development of these "scoops"?

Brian wrote:Transmission cooling air scoop...for track users!

Tested with our turbo ND.

Coming to the site soon. Similar for diff also coming to site soon.


I think production trans scoops have arrived and are waiting pics and time for somebody to get them on the site, likely later next week.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8534
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am

ryanholt wrote:Brian, any movement on the development of these "scoops"?

Brian wrote:Transmission cooling air scoop...for track users!

Tested with our turbo ND.

Coming to the site soon. Similar for diff also coming to site soon.



On the site now at THIS LINK.
Attachments
Scoop.jpg
Scoop.jpg (18.11 KiB)
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8534
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Side by Side ND1 V4 and ND2 transmissions. Casting appears the same in all regards....but there is at least one difference.

Appears the front cover is different – housing that the throw out bearing rides on – specifically the fork pivot. Pin is the same but housing changes the depth due to the dual mass flywheel on the 2019 models. Swap that with pre-2019 type to install into ND1.
Attachments
t4.jpeg
t3.jpeg
T2.jpeg
T1.jpeg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8534
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby sjd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 am

So with the transmission cases (and the gearsets) still being the same (except for the differences you pointed out) does that mean that Mazda feels the stronger engine block of the 2019 is enough to stop the failures? What versions of the transmission have you broken? Have there been failures of the version 4? If the issue is the lack of stiffness in the 2016-18 engine block would that account for repeat failures even on the updated gearsets?

I'm ready to make the jump to a 2019 but since I am an avid autocrosser the transmission concern is worrying. Of course since I'm waiting for next Spring here in the East, I do have some time to observe what happens when people start autocrossing/tracking the 2019.
2010 Competition Yellow MX-5.
sjd
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:02 am

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Postby Brian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 am

sjd wrote:So with the transmission cases (and the gearsets) still being the same (except for the differences you pointed out) does that mean that Mazda feels the stronger engine block of the 2019 is enough to stop the failures? What versions of the transmission have you broken? Have there been failures of the version 4? If the issue is the lack of stiffness in the 2016-18 engine block would that account for repeat failures even on the updated gearsets?

I'm ready to make the jump to a 2019 but since I am an avid autocrosser the transmission concern is worrying. Of course since I'm waiting for next Spring here in the East, I do have some time to observe what happens when people start autocrossing/tracking the 2019.


See the thread at Miata.net for input from many more users. I broke a version 1 and 3. I don't know if anyone has busted a version 4 yet though lots of discussion of that in the thread at Miata.net. Note the torque difference between ND1 and ND2 motors is close to zero, and it's torque that matters when it comes to breaking stuff, so cannot say ND2 motor 'upgrades' are relevant to the discussion on breaking transmissions (and then add in that with boost I was running as much as double stock torque and it cannot be said that my busting a version 3 with boost tells you much about autocrossing CS or STR class power on a version 4). My pet theory is twist is the issue, have not seen an ND2 on the lift yet so don't know precisely what as been improved on that.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8534
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:44 am
Location: San Diego CA

PreviousNext

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests