PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Brian »

More of our super popular Progress and RoadsterSport Springs arrived today!

Progress Sway Bar Kits too!

These pics of broken Flyin Miata Sway Bars get deleted in the forums to protect the guilty. Crinkle paint was a bad idea, it scrubs out the lube and the bushing then sticks and grabs the bar and the bar snaps. This issue is not limited to FM sways, but the finish choice seems to cause faster removal of the lube from under the bushing. So, if you have FM bars, just lube them at least once a year and likely have no issue. We have replaced many broken FM bars with Progress Sway Bars because folks didn't understand this would be an issue and they did an install and forget it approach...until it broke. With all sways using poly bushings good to lube again perhaps once a year, with FM sways better make that twice a year. Pictures of broken Flyin Miata Sway Bars. For quality, go with Progress!
Attachments
Broken-FM-Sway2.jpg
Broken-FM-Sway2.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3632 times
Broken-FM-Sway.jpg
Broken-FM-Sway.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3632 times
progress.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
SeanM476

Post by SeanM476 »

Brian wrote:
honestobob wrote:What is the latest on ND2 Superchargers?
No news.
I haven't seen an update, but it's worth asking again!
Sean
2019 GT RF
Machine Grey
RoadsterSport Suspension Package/RoadsterSport SuperStreet Single-tip exhaust.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

SeanM476 wrote:
Brian wrote:
honestobob wrote:What is the latest on ND2 Superchargers?
No news.
I haven't seen an update, but it's worth asking again!
Nothing new from Edelbrock. The HKS unit has some promise, FAB9 has one install working on ND2.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
CaseyM035

Post by CaseyM035 »

Just made it through every thread of this page. Good read.

Were there ever any dyno tests with ND2 exhaust mods? I've got the header, different brand mid pipe, and super q. Wondering if there's significant power on the table by switching to a monster resonator like the magnaflow posted a few pages back then a straight style muffler.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

CaseyM035 wrote:Just made it through every thread of this page. Good read.

Were there ever any dyno tests with ND2 exhaust mods? I've got the header, different brand mid pipe, and super q. Wondering if there's significant power on the table by switching to a monster resonator like the magnaflow posted a few pages back then a straight style muffler.
The dyno we used for more than a decade closed when Covid started and has not reopened. I expect any highflow midpipe of similar diameter to perform similarly for a normally aspirated ND2.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Post by Brian »

Good notes and update from customer Nathan Duke:

I replaced my SC due to a bearing failure recently, and ever since then I was seeing IAT2 temps, AKA boosted air temps, 90°-100° above my IAT1 temps. I thought the intercooler may have been gunked up. I took everything apart to replace it but the IC looked fine. I went ahead and put the new one in since it was already apart but I also looked at the rest of the system for potential issues.

The BPV was only opening up about 25% the way that Edelbrock had set it, so I reset the arm to open to ~80%, just shy of 90°. Edelbrock must be setting them up super tight these days. That means a good bit of air is still having to go through the rotors at light throttle which will create a ton more heat. I put the car back together and it had dropped my steady state 75MPH cruise to only 40° higher than IAT1. That’s a massive difference in power. Pictures of the BPV adjustment I did using my broken SC to demonstrate. The one with it barely cracked is where it was set from Edelbrock. My setting is the one that’s almost at a 90° angle. MPG increased, IAT2 dropped by 50°F+, and the car feels better all around. I did have to add a restrictor pill back into the BPV after increasing the travel because it caused a surge at light-medium throttle right on the vacuum/boost threshold. I tried a .050 restrictor yesterday and it’s almost perfect now. I ordered a .025 to try and I bet that will get it back to being 100% smooth again. Just a heads up in case any of your customers come across something similar.
Attachments
image0(51).jpeg
image0(51).jpeg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
image1(28).jpeg
image1(28).jpeg (118.51 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

The .050 restrictor was so close to eliminating the surge and going .025 was a bigger leap than I thought. The .025 fully smoothed it out but also shot my IAT2 way back up. So, the valve isn’t opening fully with that small of a restrictor. I just ordered a .030, .035, .040, and .045. I’ll figure out the right balance and let everyone know ASAP.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

The .045 restrictor has my IAT1 to IAT2 delta at 75MPH cruise between 47°-60° with around 50°-55° being the most common. Ambient temps are 110°-112°F today. The smoothness is solved for my particular setup. If I have the radio off and focus, I still notice the surge very rarely. With a louder exhaust setup it may be more apparent, but I’m good with it on mine.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

MORE OHLINS for ND Arrived Today!
Attachments
OhlinsToday.jpg
OhlinsToday.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4498 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Time for me to get back to SCCA CS fun! After COVID started our events were shut down for a long time and wife suggested we go see the world while high demand places are low demand. So we did, hiked across South America and Africa, Galapagos, surfed in the Maldives, etc.

Our 2019 up on the rack for yet another rear bumpstop experiment. No particular reason other than I am still looking for a bit better feel in the way the rear responds. Our setup is still the basics

Karcepts front sway bar
Off the shelf koni single adjustable shocks
OEM front bumpstops, cut down about 1/2"
The stiff rear bumpstops.
Yokohama A052 tires

Customer Vivek Goel reports he won Nationals in CS this year on same stuff (and our Penske Blue rear stops). I am going to alignment tomorrow and will try yet another combo of toe settings and see how it feels at the practice on Saturday. My tires are ancient at this point, just going for the giggles and see how the car is doing.
Attachments
NDCSfun.jpg
NDCSfun.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4226 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com