GWR NC MX-5 Hood Lift Kit

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
RogerW880

Re: GWR NC MX-5 Hood Lift Kit

Post by RogerW880 »

erikv wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:01 am Search by length and then look for higher ratings for pressure/weight.
UGH! It is homework like this that makes me miss my work deadlines. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, well. Not like I will get much accomplished on a Friday anyway :P
Thanks!
06 True Red "Rojito" - MeisterR CRD, Progress sways, 17x9 PF01, louvered hood, BBFW spoiler, HardDog M3 roll bar, tuned 2.0 (until I succeed at blowing it up :lol: ), 1.6" long tube header, 2.5" midpipe, Cobalt muffler
RBNetEngr

Post by RBNetEngr »

I just installed this during a lunch break. The whole process, including getting the tools, took maybe 15 minutes. When first installed, the struts made a groan/squeak noise as they were compressed. But if you open and close the hood several times, the noise stops.

One critique on the instructions - in mentioning of bolts to be removed to install the brackets, it seems odd to refer to the bolts by THEIR LENGTH rather than the size of the hex head, which would determine which socket to use. Yes, the instructions state that you need a 10mm and a 12mm socket, but when I read the instructions, pointing to the bolt and saying it is a 6mm bolt, it was confusing because I see a 10mm bolt. The fact that it is 6mm long is meaningless while it is installed. Same for the 12mm bolts in the hood, which are listed by their 8mm length, too.

But the photos were clear and easy to understand.
njaremka

Post by njaremka »

RBNetEngr wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:11 pm I just installed this during a lunch break. The whole process, including getting the tools, took maybe 15 minutes. When first installed, the struts made a groan/squeak noise as they were compressed. But if you open and close the hood several times, the noise stops.

One critique on the instructions - in mentioning of bolts to be removed to install the brackets, it seems odd to refer to the bolts by THEIR LENGTH rather than the size of the hex head, which would determine which socket to use. Yes, the instructions state that you need a 10mm and a 12mm socket, but when I read the instructions, pointing to the bolt and saying it is a 6mm bolt, it was confusing because I see a 10mm bolt. The fact that it is 6mm long is meaningless while it is installed. Same for the 12mm bolts in the hood, which are listed by their 8mm length, too.

But the photos were clear and easy to understand.
Believe it or not, but a 6mm diameter bolt will have a 10mm socket head, and an 8mm diameter bolt will have a 12mm socket head. Pretty sure that's the reference in the instructions, not the length.