PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Re: PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 am

klikai wrote:Maybe if you will test out the AP Big Brake Kit?

Sorry, don't need any more than our Good-Win Racing 12.88 kit for the biggest California tracks. Recently did test the new Stoptech setup and did not like it at all, wrote up some details in our ND testing thread. Likely the next step for us on brakes is do some ducting.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 pm

First driving day with Tork MotorSports E85 Tune after Rocky did the E85 ATP injector installation today. Fuel shower cooling effects will get proper testing this Summer, starting with SCCA in the heat of the day tomorrow. Just some fun runs up and down the coast today but excellent first impressions, so smooth!
Attachments
coastFiat.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:09 pm

SCCA Autocross SSM Class WIN today for the Good-Win Racing Fiat 124 Project. Win in class and just half a second off Top Time of Day that was done by an open wheel formula car. To put that another way, Project Fiat 124 was the fastest daily driver with A/C and interior, etc. Great result for the new Tork E85 tune, it ran flawless and pulled hard on every run on a HOT day, air temps 92 F in the shade which is why we parked under the overpass after our run group.

HotFiat.jpg

My Buddy Bruce in second place Supercharged Miata (he has beat me plenty of times before but today was our day).

Bruce1.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 am

Yesterday's autocross, our very tight SE lot location is not as flying fast as the stadium west lot, very tight course and relatively short runs for a San Diego event.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby LateNights » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Very keen to hear more about the E85 - people say good things regarding forced induction, so a credible source with actual 124 experience would be much appreciated!

...while I'm busy spending other people's money - any more news on the turbo rebuild - is that something you might offer at some future point, possibly as a complete "Good-win stage xx" type deal?

Speaking of which - what are you running as far as engine management software, anything interesting or is the stock gear "good enough" so far?

Congrats again on the autocross - was certain those last few cones were going the way of the dodo :lol:
LateNights

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 am

Tork MotorSports reflash of stock ECU working well. Love E85 for cooling benefits on hot autocross and track days, it's race gas for cheap with effective octane 105 and better.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm

GT4 Testing at Monza.

FULL Aero, wish we had that much for track days!

Attachments
GT4sss.jpg
GT4ss.jpg
FiatGT4s.jpg
FiatGT4s.jpg (60.32 KiB)
Abarth-124-GT4-Monza-Test-1.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby LateNights » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:47 pm

:lol: looks like the old Mitsubishi 3000GT!
LateNights

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:33 am

Fiat SportCats Shipping TODAY!
Attachments
FiatSportCatFinal.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby LateNights » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Just wondering - why do you 'only' run a 17 inch wheel vs an 18?

Wouldn't the extra tyre 'stiffness' / lack of sidewall flex be a positive - is the weight gain that much of an issue?
LateNights

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:04 am

Look around for a light 4x100 18 wheel, there are about zero choices and nothing 8 or 9 inches wide. And that's just the wheels, choice in tires in right diameters also close to nothing. The NC gen chassis was the only Miata that was 5 lug so it does get raced with 18 inch because there are some good wheel choices that fit that generation.

Even wide 17 inch is a Unicorn, love our 17x9 6UL wheels but what I need next is 17x9.5 or 17x10 in 4x100 and that doesn't exist outside of custom order at $600 per wheel. We stock 17x10 in 5 lug for NC generation (shown on my old 2.5 liter NC below) and I could use lug conversion to get that on the Fiat and ND projects but I don't like the weight or complexity of the conversion. Nonetheless, Fiat would be faster if Hoosier 245mm tires were spread on something wider than 9 inch wheels we are using now.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby LateNights » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 am

Makes sense - actually now you mention it I remember reading some hype about the change back to 4 lug pattern and how it would open the Nd up to more traditional "small car" aftermarket wheel choices, too bad that didn't help with sizing as much as styling :lol:

The 18's on the NC look great - normally I don't love the look of that wheel (I'm a fan of them functionally - light weight and whatnot), but in an 18 they suddenly become a really good looking wheel - especially so on the NC!
LateNights

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 am

BMW likes the Fiat 124 enough to crib much of the design detail for the next Z4.
Attachments
z4.png
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby klikai » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:50 pm

As we are putting down more power on the car.

How is tranny and diff holding up?

Is it time to develop a cooler for the tranny and diff?
klikai

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:09 pm

klikai wrote:As we are putting down more power on the car.

How is tranny and diff holding up?

Is it time to develop a cooler for the tranny and diff?

Busy moving company into new building, zero free time to get to the dyno until we get out of boxes. Today was stuff like get the lobby metal work up, knock out another wall for Ryan's product development area, locate an A/C duct over Sean's office, etc.

No issues with tranny and diff. E85 tune feels a lot faster. We know from using this trans in the NC that it is good to 300 hp without adding cooling (remember this is NOT a delicate ND Skyactiv transmission, Fiat went with proven NC transmission). To put it another way, I still race our 2007 NC Miata with 320 at the wheels, no fluid cooler for that trans so I don't expect it will ever be 'time' to develop fluid cooler on the Fiat 124. With the NC an air scoop was enough for our extreme 'NC LIGHT', with scoop shown one page back on the Fiat 124 compressing more air on the engine cast finned oil pan and trans the temps are holding steady for both engine oil and trans at our SCCA HOT Summer competition days. Will get that scoop to market in the next few months. If we can be happy on heat levels with simple air scoop then no good reason to do fluid cooler that adds massive costs and complications, additional points of failure, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124