Bumpstops for the NC?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
sloopercat

Bumpstops for the NC?

Post by sloopercat »

Any thought to making big fat bumpstops for the NC to mimic the NA/NB bumpstop functionality? If not, why not?

Are bumpstops an "allowed" mod in the stock AX classes?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The bumpstops were designed as a progressive spring in NA/NB. And the NA/Nb cars were into the bumpstops over even mild bumps and turns...particularlly when lowered. That was a design with advantages and disadvantages.

The NC has several inches of additional travel, particularly in the rear. In the NC, you don't live on the bumpstops, even when lowered. Thus, the need for better bumpstops is realy not an issue in the NC.

As for AX...I know where you are going with that thought. The stock class guys are really have an issue with the NC because the factory NC springs are just too soft. It would be great if we could design a LONG bumpstop that would effectively double the spring rates at stock height...except that would NOT be legal. Could you imagine if it was? There would a big market for thick and heavy bumpstops that raised the spring rates to 1000 pounds per inch if that was legal.....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

I think the NC would benefit a LOT from a more progressive spring set up in the rear, the bumpstops would be the ideal way of doing that without messing up the ride qualities. As you are well aware, the previous gen cars used that philosophy.

The times the car has gotten over the edge is when the rear rolls too much. Even with Eibach springs and sways it becomes a handful to control at that point. The NA at the same limits was exciting, fun and real predictable.

I still think this is a valid way of improving the handling of the NC, no?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sounds more like an alignment or tire issue. I have driven the NC with the MazdaSpeed/Eibach sways and springs and properly setup the NC will four wheel drift perfectly in a very friendly and controllable manner...at least as good or even BETTER than similarly setup NA/NB thanks to the stiffer chasis of the NC.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

I agree with you Brian, I am changing tires to the Hankooks and getting a precision alignment, but the NC does seem to get more nasty when it falls off the map. I still think the bumpstops are a good idea for a more progressive set up while maintaining ride quality. Sounds like an easy test since the rears are so easy to swap. How else could you make the rears more progressive and do that so cheaply?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I agree that a street user might really like a progressive setup that allows him to stay soft but have more stiffness in the twisties. Track users usually prefer a linear spring rate for more predictability.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

You have an Email from me. Bruce