Suspension/tire suggestions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
rsabbagh

Suspension/tire suggestions

Post by rsabbagh »

Hi Brian, I've got a 99 Miata PEP that I'd like to upgrade a bit. I want to start with wheels/tires/suspension and go from there.

So far I've settled on 15x6.5 Konig Heliums with a 195/50-15 tire to replace the stock 14" wheels.

Can you suggest A. A tire for daily street driving with very little to no track use, just spirited mountain runs in Norcal. B. A suspension upgrade that would drop the car by ~1 - 1.5 inches. What do you think of coilover vs. just replacing shocks/springs?

Thanks
Raji
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The easy choice on the tire would be the Toyo T1R. The criticism that choice sometimes get is that the sidewall is the as stiff as some other choices...(this was more true of the old T1S than the new T1R). But, other than that the T1R is very sticky, very light, and gives great ride quality despite the high grip level which is why it remains the number ONE choice in the Miata world. Another choice that would give you most everything the Toyo has but be a little sharper on the turn-in issue is our slightly more expensive Goodyear F1-GS.

On springs, our Racing Beat street springs lower you just an inch or so and those have worked out very well matched with Koni shocks. To go 1.5 inches lower see our Eibach springs. We could talk all day about coilovers versus shocks and springs. In short, when looking at springs I prefer the Racing Beat because as we get much lower than an inch the lack of travel of the Miata suspension with full length shocks start to be an issue. The coilover kits use shortened shock bodies and that gives you more travel for a lowered Miata. EVEN MORE important is that true coilovers put YOU in control of height. So often a customer lowers a Miata a certain amount and later decides he wants even lower...or decides he has gone too low and wants to raise the Miata a little (to clear their driveway, whatever). With the threaded body coilovers you have the ability to change your mind on height and try different heights over time.

Also, should you get into autocross the real coilovers would allow you to properly corner balance your Miata.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com