best wheel/tire size in 16" for the NC ??

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
relentless

best wheel/tire size in 16" for the NC ??

Post by relentless »

I have searched .. asked people on forums .. and I am still confused.

Assuming that for weight .. a 16" wheel/tire combo is the best ....

For the NC ... for very fast, twisty, high performance mountain-backroad driving ? (Comfort is not a factor -- and I don't AX or circuit race. Also, I will be getting upgraded coilovers) .....

Question: What is the best setup ?

To determine wheel size ... what tire size is the best ?? .. 205/50/16 or 205/45/16 ... or 225/45/16 - 225/50/16 - 235/45/16 - 245/45/16 ??

I am sure there are trade-offs here .. weight-to-performance. I would really like to hear your opinions and feedback.

Thanks !!
miataman

Post by miataman »

In Europe the 1.8 model uses 205/50/16 tires, which have the same width and diameter as the 2.0 model (205/45/17).

Purely for street use I don't think you would need anything wider than 205, unless you have too wide rims.
The RX-7 FD rims for example being 8" wide, typically require 225 tires or larger.

I have used 225/50/16, but I think that 225/45/16 is the more correct size in terms of overall diameter.

Brian, what is the most common tiresize you would suggest on 16" wheels without any rubbing?
225/45/16 theoretically is best, but it is a very uncommon tiresize.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

There is no "best" or "correct" size....only different choices. Note that the factory 16s and 17s are not the same diameter....the factory 205/50/16 size is actually .3 inches shorter at 24 inches diameter than the factory 205/45/17 at 24.3 inches (using Toyo T1R for the sample spec). But, the factory 16 inch tire matches with the 5spd trans which is geared a little taller than the 6spd such that the result works out similar. A 225/50/16 in the same tire is .4 inches taller than the factory 17 inch and I found that size worked well with the short gearing of the 6spd...but I can imagine that a 5spd owner might have a different result.

I agree that few street users need more than 205s. I currently drive the car most of the time on the factory 205s around town (on 13 pound rims instead of the stock 17+ pound rims). An argument can be made that a Miata is MORE fun to drive when we don't put too much tire on it because it is a lot of fun to slide it through the corners at legal speeds and the more tire we add...the more speed we need to have the same level of "fun." Thus, I know plenty of racers using 225s and more for track days and just the 205s for around town. But I understand that other folks find more "fun" in being able to maximize their speeds on highway onramps and offramps and for them more tire is better and that 225 size will be appreciated. When I wear those stock 205 tires out I will likely try some 215s on the same rim (.3 taller than stock 17s). Will be adding boost at some point in the next few months and may then play again with 225/50/16...which fit fine at a 50mm offset without rubbing.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
relentless

Post by relentless »

Brian .. Thank you very much for your expedited and thorough response.

Some cars are easy -- but this NC is proving a lot more complicated and interesting on the wheel / tire setup.

I want to think about what you have said -- and respond later.

Thanks -- and have a great July 4th holiday !!