Cam Position Sensor

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Craig

Cam Position Sensor

Post by Craig »

Tim,

I'm just wondering if you've ever seen an intermittent problem with the Cam Position Sensor (Cam Angle Sensor) on the Miata.

I have a 2001 Miata with about 65K miles, and it generally runs great. The only time I've run into problems were:

- Running up Ortega Highway on a hot day with AC on, and 490 lbs. of people inside (me and my LARGE son)
- Running a Track Day yesterday at Streets of Willow

Both times, after the engine had been under high loads for a good 10 minutes or so, there was a sudden loss of power, and the check engine light came on. On both occassions, the error code said it was a problem with the Cam Position Sensor circuit.

It seems obvious that heat and hard driving are the trigger for this problem. My dealer suggested coming back if it recurs, but that's clearly a recipe for ruined track days. I'm going to get the CAS replaced ... unless you've heard of some other cure?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, if the code is saying cam angle sensor then I would start there and replace it rather than take the chance of getting stuck on the next track day...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com