Wilwood Rear Brakes Question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
avera01

Wilwood Rear Brakes Question

Post by avera01 »

Have already installed your Wilwood LBBK with the 12.19" rotors. After the full fluid flush with DOT 4 and rear SS brake lines, I really like how the car brakes and the brake pedal feels; very solid.

Considering the rear brake after one of my local club members did the full LBBK and claims that after adjusting the e-brake handle, the rear brakes firmly holds his car (2016 club). Bear in mind we both live on south Florida and the terrain is fairly flat.

I am now planning on doing the the rear and was wondering two things:

1) does the rear brake need to be bedded the same way as the front? Since the front has already be bedded and the rear does a lot less of the braking, I just thought that it may not be necessary or at least not to the extreme level of bedding as applied to the front. Will consider replacing the rotors with the Centrix version or which ever brand comes E-coated so that the edge and inside ring area does not rust as much as the stock plus alleviate the issue with cleaning the stock rotors from the stock pad film.

2) If just replacing the rear calipers, to what extent does one need to do a complete bleed in the line? I understand the rear two calipers, but don't see the logic for bleeding the front.

Just asking general questions as I am planning on doing the rear myself, had the front done by a local tech.
avera01

Re: Wilwood Rear Brakes Question

Post by avera01 »

I was hoping for a response, given the number of views.

Perhaps I am too naive about this topic, but I thought that since the front brake conduct most of the braking and the heavy bedding braking process targets the front brakes, how significant is to bed the rear pad when added sometime after the front pads? Or should the pads break-in during normal use (assuming that either I use a new rotor or clean the old rotor of the previous pad's deposits?

Same thing for bleeding the brake lines when changing the rear calipers. I am not introducing air into the lines (at least I don't think so), the rear lines are the first to be bled during a full flush as they are the furthest from the master cylinder. So if nothing is changed with the front brakes, do they need to be bled when changing the rear calipers only?

Anyway, just trying to learn my car and be more self reliant on its maintenance.

Thanks, again for listening and any advice/comments given.

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Bedding not critical for street pads, though not a bad idea and I always do it.

Track pads need to be bedded to work anywhere near max torque, front and rear.

No need to bleed if not changing fluid.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Thanks Brian.......