Had a few more days to digest results from the weekend and what comes next. First step is we need a bump in spring rates, car was just too soft for our grip package on the smooth surface of this track, going to jump to something like 12kg or 13kg front, perhaps 8kg rear. Reaching out to Meister first on whether valving already in these coilovers will handle the rate jump. Also going to make some changes to the prototype sways and test those some more.
Car was fun but a bit squishy, driver had to be really precise and careful with inputs. I didn't put the right lap together the entire day, fortunately our Ryan Passey (holder of current production car record at Chuckwalla) was able to get the 2:03 lap we figured the car was worth in current mild tune for suspension and power.
What comes next for this project? Original goal was build what we needed on a budget to show up to local events and do well, and we beat everything with doors at first autocross, we did well at first track event but not as dominating as the car was at autocross because we simply had it a bit too soft for the very smooth Chuckwalla Raceway surface. So, will add more spring rate and try next track event and after that will use this project to finish up a lot of NC product testing that includes new light battery kit, new springs to match with KONI shocks, new lower cost big brakes, and more.
We had stock size brakes on the car for Chuckwalla with R4 track pads, and Ryan and I were both disappointed with the brakes. This is not a brake intensive track at all yet we left with scorched rotors showing a lot of blue heat marks, we were surprised at how poorly the brakes did given lap time of just 2:03 (for perspective my NCLIGHT project was about 7 seconds faster, Ryan's best over ten seconds faster in HyperMiata). So, we need help on the brakes, brake ducts would help. Will work next on some brake ducts and bigger thermal sink (bigger rotors). The easy 'budget' answer for NC brakes has always been to bolt up RX8 brakes but the idea of adding even more weight is an idea I just hate, because weight is the enemy! And yet our 12.88 kit front and rear, the ULTIMATE NC BRAKES that we developed for our big dollar NC projects is just more than we want to spend on this budget project. So, looking at doing new front big brakes that are not as big and costly as our 12.88 kit, likely use 12.19 rotors like our ND mid level kit because that will keep costs low and replacement friction rings are really affordable in that 12.19 size. The harder question is how we balance that at the rear, likely use an RX8 caliper at the rear for parking brake and easy of install and match that to two-piece rotor at the rear so weight for the rear is a push while the front setup will drop some pounds.
OIL COOLER. We had the oil cooler hooked up for track use, we don't track an NC without oil cooler because we have toasted enough NC motors and bearing failure comes quick on high speed high G tracks without good oil cooling. The issue with all the current units is that they mount the cooler too high. You can overfill oil to compensate except that NC in high G use will blow out the extra oil and you obviously don't want to take the chance of sucking air. Back in the days of our more high dollar extreme NC we dealt with this using very expensive dry sump setups, but we need a solution that works for budget NC builds. Thus, working on new setup that mounts the cooler really low in front of the radiator so that dip stick is always accurate and yet you have a real 5+ quart capacity NC. My guess is a few months before we get that complete.