Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Ryan @ GWR

Re: Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Another item relevant to our NC project is back in stock - Blackbird Fabworx fire extinguisher bracket. Now updated for a much lower cost than the old design! These are back on our shelf and shipping.
Kit_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Kit-w-Bottle_1024x1024@2x.jpg
ToddW187

Post by ToddW187 »

Brian wrote:Install Note. We add a washer at the rear to space out rear connection a bit, and a longer bolt. Why? Rear suspension arc is a bit too much, this change makes it just a hair more linear in response.

Although nice that units come assembled, the resulting heights are slammed, driveway crunch heights down around 12 inches. We are planning big 17x9 wheels, big 255/40/17 tires, so we are starting about 13.5 inches in front height. With spring rates so much higher than we had above with the KONI/Progress combo we don't need as much rake to account for driver weight, will set the rear just .125 higher. These are just starting heights, corner balance will come at some point but these are good starting heights that can get in/out my home driveway and over local speedbumps, etc.
Hey Brian, I know this post was many moons ago (page 10), but did you keep the washer and longer bolt when swapping out to the MeisterR ClubRace coilovers? If so, do you remember what size and length bolt and what size washer is required for this? I'd like to have the parts in hand before I undertake installing my new ClubRace coilovers :)

Thanks!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ToddW187 wrote:
Brian wrote:Install Note. We add a washer at the rear to space out rear connection a bit, and a longer bolt. Why? Rear suspension arc is a bit too much, this change makes it just a hair more linear in response.

Although nice that units come assembled, the resulting heights are slammed, driveway crunch heights down around 12 inches. We are planning big 17x9 wheels, big 255/40/17 tires, so we are starting about 13.5 inches in front height. With spring rates so much higher than we had above with the KONI/Progress combo we don't need as much rake to account for driver weight, will set the rear just .125 higher. These are just starting heights, corner balance will come at some point but these are good starting heights that can get in/out my home driveway and over local speedbumps, etc.
Hey Brian, I know this post was many moons ago (page 10), but did you keep the washer and longer bolt when swapping out to the MeisterR ClubRace coilovers? If so, do you remember what size and length bolt and what size washer is required for this? I'd like to have the parts in hand before I undertake installing my new ClubRace coilovers :)

Nope, that was just a thing with the HIGH CLEARANCE rear springs in standard Ohlins kit. There are some other kits using similar springs, like Tein, but not MeisterR.

Thanks!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ToddW187

Post by ToddW187 »

Very good. Thanks, Brian.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our latest budget NC with 16x8 Hypergram and 225/50 Continental. New KONI Coilovers!
NC16koni.jpg
NC16koni.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 5306 times
NC16Koni2.jpg
NC16Koni2.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5306 times
NCkoni3.jpg
NCkoni3.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5306 times
And

Our own Project NC 08 with our Hypergram 17x8 and 235/40 Dunlop Tires.
Fun08.jpg
Fun08.jpg (650.64 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

A project percolating along on the back burner just might see the light of day before this year is over. Back in the day our friends at KONI did a motorsports Koni Race valving setup for the NC for GrandAm Racing. They sent us a set of fixed length shortened body KONI RACE shocks with that valving for the first round of testing and we LOVED IT. We loved it because it rode amazing and yet it handled race sharp. But we wanted it in a height adjustable shock body in addition to the magic damping and the adjustable damping feature of the first test set sent to us. Prototype of this second stage of development is on the way for testing.

Please don't ask me what it will cost because we don't yet have any idea on costs or eta, still just paying with potential new item here but it has evolved far enough to get me excited to show you the prototypes. Posting in this thread because thinking we might use the supercharged project car to track and autocross test this setup. Otherwise might put it in my latest 2.5 project and use that for SCCA XS-B.

XIDAS are 171mm stroke rear, 126mm front stroke
KONI RACE NC 186mm front and 136mm rear

My hope is that we are half the price of XIDAS. These won't have all the bells and whistles of the Xidas but at less than half the price we are excited about this setup.
Attachments
KoniNCcoilovers.JPG
KoniNCcoilovers.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 5303 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EdwardC507

Post by EdwardC507 »

Hi Brian,
Did the RoadsterSport Underbody Bracing kit get updated for this project?

I think you mentioned awhile back that it was to improve ground clearance?
Also, if I had a spacer/washer to clear a Long Tube Header, would the front bracing hang too low?

Thanks for the development!
2008 Marble White, NC1
@supahr_Ed
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That 'mazdaspeed' style lower profile underbody bracing is still coming. The arc of development on it has been years longer than we wanted, but it is still coming.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Decision has been made to GO production on NC Koni Race Shocks with threaded bodies. The 9kg are installed at front today (this week we have had 6kg front, 7kg front, 8kg front, and now 9kg front).   The greater compression valving of the damping on these means they want more spring rate.... and the more rate we installed the happier and better matched the setup feels. Starting to think the 'touring' setup is 8kg/4kg and the race is more like 11kg/7kg for these.  I really like this setup intentionally on a car that has stock sways, the car really doesn't need sway bar upgrade with these.

I like the KONI 45mm stops in the front, good compromise of sufficient length with a very steep climb in rate as you get into them.  I went intentionally too fast into dips around here and they caught the car nicely when the prior shorter foam stops that I took out did not.

45mm length and the KONI part number is 71 34 42 000 0.
KONI-Race-Stops.jpg
KONI-Race-Stops.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 4931 times

Attachments
KoniProtoNCs.jpg
KoniProtoNCs.jpg (229.34 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great video on rear upgrade of bearings/hubs for those running big power and/or big grip. https://youtu.be/88inyRpBa0o
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com