Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Budget Street/Autocross/Track 2.5 NC Project!

Post by Brian »

We did it again...bought ANOTHER Budget NC. Will continue work on the Turbo 2.5 NC which started this thread but as it gets more and more race focused we really need a more street focused NC to continue and finish up a number of projects that began with the silver 'Budget NC' that started this thread. One owner car, garage kept, original 4x4 height, super clean original paint. Spent today scrubbing out the inside, we start replacing suspension tomorrow morning.

This will be a more street fun focused project, we might take it to the track but not building it for the track. First up is cure the 4x4 stance with prototype Koni RACE shocks, much like the KONI Race shocks for NA/NB. Will match those test shocks with a set of prototype RoadsterSport Springs, much like our ND RoadsterSport springs. And YES, them wheels gotta go! What else do you guys want to see that we have not already done with our other NC projects? http://www.good-win-racing.com
Attachments
NewNCProject.jpg
00u0u_48eakQpX0j8_1200x900.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

And the 'new' project arrives to the shop! Got a BIG first day planned!
20200418_064531 (2).jpg
List of fun to add today including:

Prototype Koni Race Shocks.
Prototype RoadsterSport NC Springs (rates 300 front, 200 rear).
Limited slip (spare factory junkyard deal).
Moroso Expansion Tank (this 08 has a yellow original plastic tank and it could go at any time and take the motor with it)

As arrived the original factory shocks are still on the car with 75k miles, they are blown out, the rear in particular such that you can even see that rear is more than an inch lower than the front.

But first the EASY stuff, factory shift knob all chewed up and I never liked them anyway, far too small for my big hands. This is a prototype we jokingly call 'Brian's Big Knob' and they are in production in both red and black and will be on the site soon. We put the red prototype in the Fiat 124, that means this car gets the black.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another pic before we dig deep.
Attachments
ProjectNC.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Stock shift knob torn up by prior owner wearing a ring, good opportunity to replace a shift knob that is too small for me anyway.
StockShift.jpg
ShiftNC.jpg
Attachments
Shifter.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

New springs and shocks are in! Excited to give these a drive, prototype RoadsterSport springs for NC much like our popular RoadsterSport springs for ND. Rates are 300 front, 200 rear, that's roughly double stock. And prototype adjustable Koni Race shocks.
KONI shock race.jpg
The valving profiles on these come direct from KONI's work in Grand Am Series. Picture here is to show that shock body is shorter by about an inch compared to normal Koni Sport shock for NC (this is NC rear Sport vs Race). Ignore all the extra groves above the circlip, that's only on the prototype though production will have a few choices in perch position much like our NA and ND Koni.
Attachments
NCKoniRace.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Seller disclosed the car had lived in Chicago a few years before relocation to nice dry Palm Springs where we bought it. Those Chicago winters left a patina of rust around the rear subframe areas. Nothing serious but not the sort of thing I want to leave forever. Got a 2 dollar plastic 20 by 10 foot tarp from Home Depot paint department and spread it out under the car. Got a lithium battery drill with wire wheel and spent an hour removing every hint of surface rust. Then a can of rust reformer that leaves surface sealed with a nice primer black and looks almost brand new under there again.

Before and After
20200418_131552.jpg
Attachments
CleanSub.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Rides and handles great now! At 75k miles the stock shocks were blown out, particularly rear. Really like these Prototype RoadsterSport 300 lb front/200 lb rear springs! And the ride and control with short body race valved Koni almost Ohlins level...at least until you hit pothole and realize you don't have DFV. Looks massively better too! I bombed some highspeed ramps, hit my local favorite test cloverleafs, it passes the laugh out loud test now!
Attachments
NCKoniRace.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MitchC635

Post by MitchC635 »

Amazing how getting the ride height correct transforms the look of the car. It was completely awkward looking with the highboy speedboat look previously - now it looks good even with those wheels. What's the ride height now?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

MitchC635 wrote:Amazing how getting the ride height correct transforms the look of the car. It was completely awkward looking with the highboy speedboat look previously - now it looks good even with those wheels. What's the ride height now?
I fully agree. When we got the car I didn't like the wheels, now I think they look good...but going to change them.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Looking better...
Attachments
20200422_075653.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com