Oil Catch Can - any value?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Oil Catch Can - any value?

Postby avera01 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Reading the oil catch can in another Miata forum, there is some interest/concern about its need and the amount of oil flowing into the intake.

I read Brian's reply concerning the oil catch can in a RX-8 as being unnecessary unless you are using a SC or TC.

So for a daily spirited driver without a SC or TC, does this "rule" still applies to the 2016 ND?

Also, if 1 to 2 oz of oil is flowing into the air intake per scheduled oil change, at what point, if at all, will this be an issue for the stock engine? I saw some pretty gummed up intake ports photos on that forum which is why I m here asking.

Does the brand/grade of engine oil make any difference? I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 changed every 5K or 6 months whichever comes first.

Andrew
avera01

Re: Oil Catch Can - any value?

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Short of having an intercooler (because you got boost), I don't see the value. With a Turbo or Supercharged car the issue is that inside of the intercooler gets coated and that hurts the efficiency.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby LAMike » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:29 am

I plan on using CRC DI valve cleaner every 5000 miles. Cheap insurance to prevent carbon, pre-ignition etc. Used it once already. Easy, no problems.
LAMike

Postby avera01 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi Mike,

Are you referring to CRC GDI IVD intake valves & Turbo cleaner? That is the only product I found related to your response.

If so, from what point in the intake system are you applying the spray? The instructions calls for spraying it past the MAF sensor.

If easy to apply, can you elaborate on how you do it?

Please correct me if I am wrong (not experienced in providing this type of maintenance service), but it appears to be more trouble than adding an oil catch can; if either method makes any difference on a stock engine.
avera01

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124