Greg's MSM: Speedy McSpeedface

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
winning8

Re: Greg's Mazdaspeed

Post by winning8 »

Any rubbing issues with the 15x8 and being lowered?
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

I did when I ran coilovers and stock alignment at Laguna Seca. Rubbed the inner liners bad (I had it pretty low) and also the fenders some (had small cuts on the tire). I didn't have time to roll the fenders before the event and paid the price during my last session. I went through turn 6, bottomed out and heard a loud rub/scrape noise in the front. Told my passenger "that didn't sound good". Got into the pits and left front fender lip was pulled straight down. Ugly!
The Only Speed is Mazdaspeed
winning8

Post by winning8 »

Ouch! That is my concern. I'm installing some V-maxx coilovers and stock alignment. I will probably just stick with a 15x7 with a 205/50 tire
JJDGraz

Post by JJDGraz »

Hey Greg,

I have now had an '04 VR MSM for a couple of hears now. Rocky has done a number of upgrad3es for me. Including the Track Dog 4 point Roll Bar, and the Head Cooling re-route you also use.

As far as Wheels go, I like the Racing Harts aesthetically. But I am considering a replacement. The steering feels so much heaver than my old '97. I do like the look of the 17's but I would like lighter and wider, but still at 17". Is there some obvious reason all you lead footed racing people use 15" and 16" wheels. I do love my Falcon Azinis too! May be replacing them after this summer.

Rocky also let me in on a little gem. I was looking for an upgrade that would improve performance but would not violate CARB. Rocky suggested I get the head ported and flowed. I jumped on it, because the stock ECU will adjust for the increase in head flow, and compensate all chemicals at the tailpipe.

I can assure all readers that Lola has much longer legs now. Life after 4kRPM has a lot more "zoom-zoom" too. I suspect that this head modification may conflict with SCCA class rules, so I understand if you Speed Racers are banned from this type of modification.

Finally... I am glad you started a thread here for us MSM nutz. Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.
"All that wander are not lost"
J.R.R. Tolkien
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Head mods are some of the oldest tricks in the world of hot rodding. I've done valves, springs, guides, ports, and port/manifold matching. Haven't done cams or cam gears...yet. Still, she breathes like a thoroughbred when pushed.

The 15" wheel is the sweet spot for the NA/NB cars. Miatas started on 14"s, then had 15"s, then 16"s. The MSM was the only NB to have 17"s. Years of experience from the autocross/race guys have proved the 15" best. I had a set of the 17" Racing Harts. They do look good, but still heavy and with the low profile tire they contribute to the harsh ride on a stock MSM. The taller profile on the tires that work on the 15"s help give a smoother ride, yet something like a 205/50 on a 8" rim will be stretched just a little to firm the sidewall enough to give great handling. Another plus is that there is a large selection of tires available for 15" rims.
My hardest decision was which wheel to pick. I love the classic 5 spoke design like the Harts. I finally got a set of the Konig Spools. Ran them for awhile and now I have a set of the Advanti Storm S1 wheels. I love the look. The Spools are now track rims. 9" Dekagrams are up next for track days.
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Fourth of July parade in Julian, CA with the San Diego Miata Club. My MSM is dressed up along with all the other Miatas in our group. It was a fun day!
Attachments
My MSM dressed up for the parade
My MSM dressed up for the parade
Half of the San Diego Miata Miata Club getting ready for the parade
Half of the San Diego Miata Miata Club getting ready for the parade
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

The purpose of this thread is to give a view of all the work that has gone into my MSM so far, basically a build thread. But for now I'm going to show the latest upgrade.
For the last few years I have been using a Koyo aluminum radiator. It has worked fine. I also have the M-Tuned coolant reroute. I did not have any cooling issues until I rebuilt my motor. With the motor upgrade and running more boost more heat is being generated. Around town and driving on the freeway I still was not having any cooling issues. However, if it was hot out and I pushed the car hard the temp was getting up to the borderline of running hot. Last year a track day at Auto Club in Fontana in the middle of summer convinced me an upgrade was needed. The car was running hot and I didn't finish the day. When the temps are cooler, like this past March at Chuckwalla the car's temps were fine.
I placed the thermostat for the reroute closer to the front of the car for ease of access. This may have contributed to a P0128 CEL constantly popping. That and an OEM water temp sensor slowly failing (it finally died).
To handle the hot times I have decided to upgrade to the 42mm core CSF radiator we carry. And move the thermostat back closer to the head. And replace the OEM water temp sensor. Yea, fun.
Here are before photos. You can see in them some of the work I have previously performed.
Attachments
Front of engine bay showing the KoyoRad that is going to be replaced
Front of engine bay showing the KoyoRad that is going to be replaced
Right side of engine bay showing the coolant reroute hose placement
Right side of engine bay showing the coolant reroute hose placement
Detail of coolant hose passing around the recirculating (BOV) valve and the remote oil filter. Here you can also see the thermostat housing
Detail of coolant hose passing around the recirculating (BOV) valve and the remote oil filter. Here you can also see the thermostat housing
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Here are some comparison photos between my old Koyo radiator and the new CSF 42mm two row radiator I put into my MSM. The Koyo is close to OEM size, maybe about an eighth to one quarter inch thicker, and the CSF is bigger. The mounting points for the CSF match up to the Koyo, and the CSF fits easily into the OEM mounting points. The OEM shroud is also close to stock location as CSF made the mounting points close to the OEM locations, as seen in the photos. The difference is just 1/4" more towards the engine on the CSF compared to the Koyo. Originally the Koyo placed my shroud back an eighth or so. That would make the CSF shroud mounts maybe 3/8" further towards the motor.
Attachments
The CSF is all aluminum and the tanks are polished to fantastic shine. Gotta keep the tank clean.
The CSF is all aluminum and the tanks are polished to fantastic shine. Gotta keep the tank clean.
Koyo is around 1 3/4 inches thick
Koyo is around 1 3/4 inches thick
CSF radiator is thicker, about 2 1/2" thick. Here you can see the top mount pins are in identical locations.
CSF radiator is thicker, about 2 1/2" thick. Here you can see the top mount pins are in identical locations.
Here shows the CSF shroud mount is only 1/4" taller than the Koyo. The thread depth is less, so you we need to get shorter bolts for the shroud. The shroud sits in towards the engine only a 1/4" more.
Here shows the CSF shroud mount is only 1/4" taller than the Koyo. The thread depth is less, so you we need to get shorter bolts for the shroud. The shroud sits in towards the engine only a 1/4" more.
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Here are some pics from the water temp sensor swap, radiator swap, and the tweak to the coolant reroute I did (put the thermostat back where the company originally wanted it placed).
I included some shots showing the clearance between the shroud and the inlet tube. There is little space here to begin with, so when you move the shroud back due to a thicker radiator you lose this space. Trimming down the shroud is the solution. I took a grinder and used it like a big sander to remove material from the shroud until I got the necessary clearance. I had previously removed some of the shroud when I installed the Koyo because it also rubbed the inlet tube. At that time I added a piece of rubber to the shroud to cushion it between the shroud and tube.
I like using the MSM fans because the info concerning fans I have been able to research online shows that the MSM fans pull a lot of air, and it takes expensive Spal fans to be able to pull more. I look at it as "these great fans are free!" since they came with the car.
Attachments
Here is what it looks like at the back of the head, heater hose on top, water temp sensor is beneath the hose. Heater hose needs to be removed to access the sensor.
Here is what it looks like at the back of the head, heater hose on top, water temp sensor is beneath the hose. Heater hose needs to be removed to access the sensor.
Water temp sensor hiding underneath the heater hose. Removed and replaced
Water temp sensor hiding underneath the heater hose. Removed and replaced
Coolant hose coming off reroute on the right side. Note the heat wrap around the EGR tube. This is an M-Tuned reroute. The EGR runs through a notch in the reroute housing, but it was very close to the hose, so Heat Tape!
Coolant hose coming off reroute on the right side. Note the heat wrap around the EGR tube. This is an M-Tuned reroute. The EGR runs through a notch in the reroute housing, but it was very close to the hose, so Heat Tape!
This is the clearance of an OEM radiator and the inlet tube.
This is the clearance of an OEM radiator and the inlet tube.
This is what it looked like with the Koyo in. Note the rubber I had previously added to protect the inlet tube from the shroud. I discarded this piece of rubber after taking more material off the shroud.
This is what it looked like with the Koyo in. Note the rubber I had previously added to protect the inlet tube from the shroud. I discarded this piece of rubber after taking more material off the shroud.
Here is the shroud after trimming/grinding. The plastic is flush with the metal of the fan motor. The upright is ground flush with the wiring tab. The space between the tab and down to the motor is critical, as the area at the base of the strut is where most of the contact is made.
Here is the shroud after trimming/grinding. The plastic is flush with the metal of the fan motor. The upright is ground flush with the wiring tab. The space between the tab and down to the motor is critical, as the area at the base of the strut is where most of the contact is made.
This shows the clearance I made after my last round of trimming/grinding.
This shows the clearance I made after my last round of trimming/grinding.
Here is the reroute hose with the thermostat housing and an aluminum tube that will go to the front section of coolant hose.
Here is the reroute hose with the thermostat housing and an aluminum tube that will go to the front section of coolant hose.
Finished engine bay. Notice the new aluminum tube placed in the hose to carry coolant. It is in the area previously occupied by the thermostat housing. Between the catch can and the intake manifold you can see the thermostat housing in its new location.
Finished engine bay. Notice the new aluminum tube placed in the hose to carry coolant. It is in the area previously occupied by the thermostat housing. Between the catch can and the intake manifold you can see the thermostat housing in its new location.
Finished project. Look at the CSF radiator gleam!
Finished project. Look at the CSF radiator gleam!
Greg @ GWR

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Speedy McSpeedface , the first car to drive on the Goodwin Racing loading dock.
Attachments
low angle photo of Speedy sitting on our loading dock
low angle photo of Speedy sitting on our loading dock