RoadsterSport muffler for 2001 Miata

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jim67

RoadsterSport muffler for 2001 Miata

Post by jim67 »

Hello Brian (And anyone else who wants to comment),

I have just bought a 2001 Mazda Miata SE - I love it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like a sewing machine rather than a sports car!

I want to put on a performance exhaust that gives a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud...And...I want this deep, mellow tone to last for the next 10 years without getting too much louder

I do NOT want the muffler to burn out, like a glasspack muffler would, after a few months...Then, it would just be too loud for me and I would have wasted my money.

I understand that for normal driving, not racing, the best choice is to leave the stock catalytic converter & resonator on the car...Then, only replace the muffler...I am a normal driver, not a racer.

I want to keep the fuel economy the same or better while getting a performance boost and, at the same time, enjoy the deep, mellow sound that I don't get with the stock exhaust/muffler.

I've considered Borla, Flowmaster, Flowtech, the Raven Wing Performance Silverline Dual Tip Muffler (is this ANSA?) and others...It really gets confusing!

I read your comments on your RoadsterSport muffler and that sounds pretty good.

Can you please comment on all the different brands & types of mufflers that I've considered (2 paragraphs ago), and compare them to your RoadsterSport using my criteria of wanting to keep good fuel economy, getting a performance boost, and above all, getting deep, mellow sound that will not get annoyingly louder as the years go by?

Thanks,
Jim
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The RoadsterSport is a pretty conservative choice on the 99-05. The intent with the design was that it could go from mild street use to full race. The key thing to understand is that every change in the system adds sound. Adding a header adds a LOT of sound to the exhaust. Adding a supercharger adds a LOT of sound to the exhaust. So, on an otherwise stock car the RoadsterSport is pretty conservative...perhaps 10 to 15% more sound than stock because we wanted to make sure that if later the owner added a header and supercharger...the final sound would still be reasonable. Thus, the sound for the muffler alone is similar in sound level on 99-05 to the Racing Beat but slightly deeper in tone thanks to larger diameter pipe (2.5 inch). If you plan to do just muffler alone and want more sound than these two choices, then consider the Jackson or Borla.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jim67

Post by jim67 »

Hi Brian,

I posted this same question to many vendors.

You answered it better than all the rest & you responded very quickly.

Following your advice, I ordered the Borla (Touring) dual exhaust from you...I hope to get it soon.

Thanks,
Jim
jim67

Post by jim67 »

Hi Brian,

At the end of July, I asked about choice of muffler to enhance the sound...You said, "If you plan to do just muffler alone and want more sound than these two choices, then consider the Jackson or Borla."

After considering both, I decided on the Borla duals "touring".

I ordered this from you & it arrived quickly.

I also got the gasket from NAPA that you recommended.

Following your instructions, I applied Liquid Wrench to the nuts & soapy water to the hangars. I also wire-brushed the nuts to remove the caked-on rust. I did this every day for a week pror to installation.

The installation went so smoothly that I couldn't believe it!

I want to say that I am so happy with this Borla muffler...It enhances my driving experience & pleasure immensely.

Thanks for the good advice & great service.

Jim
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the good words Jim, let us know when we can help again...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AdrianT

Post by AdrianT »

Hi, I just got hold of a Goodwin Racing roadster sport from someone that has sold their 01 NB Miata.

I see a lot of mention regarding replacing the Gasket with the one provided and wondered whether there is an off the shelf replacement I can purchase for my 04 non MSM miata?

(I noticed the mention of a NAPA part above)

My previous 2000 Miata had a Enthuza catback exhaust that worked fine with the original gasket that came with the old exhaust. Having seen so many mentions of gaskets for the Goodwin Racing exhaust I was a little concerned and thought I'd enquire before installing the catback exhaust.

Any help would be great, THanks :)
jim67

Post by jim67 »

Hi,

I had a borla dual exhaust - touring installed on my 2001 miata se...I replace only the muffler and had the old gasket replaced with this:
Napa Auto Parts: part number F20257, brand: Victor Reinz

I am very happy with this entire setup.

Jim
AdrianT

Post by AdrianT »

Hey thanks, The old one looks a bit degraded on the inside edge so I think I'll be grabbing one of those from Napa this weekend.
jim67

Post by jim67 »

Good luck with your new exhaust system.

The new Borla duals that I put on mine multiplied my driving experience and pleasure manyfold.

Now, my Miata sounds like a sports car and not like a sewing machine!

Jim