NC Transmission Problems? Leaky Top? Rattle?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
sh10533

Back from the shop (Again)

Post by sh10533 »

Got the car back today after the second flooding. The dealer blamed the leak on a drain hose found under the metal attachment points for the hard top coming loose. They supposedly replaced it and glued the new one in place and also replaced the carpet in the vehicle. With two days of rain on the forecast starting tomorrow we'll see if it worked. Thanks.
sh10533

The saga continues...

Post by sh10533 »

Update: Sent a letter today to Mazda North American Operations in accordance with the NJ Lemon Law as I have now developed a strong unpleasant odor of rot in the vehicle. As the carpet and pad were replaced the last time out I suspect the leak was not repaired adequately or there are more than one. Will update as things progress.

Has anyone else had water leak or odor problems from water?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Geez, you are having the worst luck. Sorry to hear the saga continues, have not seen the issue here.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sh10533

a better mousetrap....no kidding.

Post by sh10533 »

Met with a Mazda engineer at the dealership yesterday to discuss the odor problem and have him do a comprehensive inspection of the work done to repair the leak and check out the car. He did mention to me that they are having reports of leaks into the car from the drain areas near where the door closes. There are rectangular perforated screens that drain the water that accumulates around the back of the top (between the top and beltline molding) to flappers under the car towards the back of the door. In the instances where I was getting water pooling in the car the tube that connects the drain to the screen was disconnected and the water backed into the cockpit. This was fixed and I haven't had any water issues since. The engineer told me it was very important to check those screens for things like pine needles and leaves as, if they block the screens, the water very well could back up into the car. He said it's best to check the screens often and flush them out by pouring water into the top/beltline seam and ensure it is flowing out under the car through the flappers by the back of the door.

They stripped the interior of the car down to the sheet metal and found a dead mouse that must have crawled up and got caught between the sheet metal and the carpet pad behind the bulkhead trim and trunk. That's the smell...he told me that he hadn't heard of that problem yet, I wonder what I win? Anyway, they removed it, cleaned it up real good, and after a healthy dose of Febreze I think I'm back in action. I got confirmation from the engineer that there would have been no way for me to find the little bugger and he had no idea how it managed to get in there. Oh well.

Hopefully this is the end of the problem saga.

I did want to mention that the engineer drove the car with the Eibach springs and sways and the Kosei K1TS rims on it and he thought it was better than the sport suspension package. Thanks again Brian for great parts and a place for me to share my experience.