NC Transmission Problems? Leaky Top? Rattle?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
sh10533

NC Transmission Problems? Leaky Top? Rattle?

Post by sh10533 »

I have a 2006 Touring 5 Speed with 2,250 on it. Today the transmission started making a gear grinding noise when shfiting into reverse. The clutch is on the floor, the floor mat isn't in the way. Once the car gets into reverse it "thunks". I haven't called the service folks yet (it's Sunday) but was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Also noticed the TSB today on water leak, anyone else have one of those (driver's side floor). Thanks.
Last edited by sh10533 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

There have been a few reports of transmission warranty claims. Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sh10533

"Survey Says?"

Post by sh10533 »

Just heard back from the dealership. They state the transmission noise I heard was the synchros and that if I had moved the car up in first gear a couple of feet it would not have repeated. I'm not sure I buy into this but I can agree with the statement he made that the tech couldn't duplicate the noise, I couldn't either. I'm puzzled, does anyone have any idea about this either way. I'd love to stop worrying if the transmission is going to fall out anytime soon (though I don't expect this).

As far as the top is concerned I see there is a TSB out about the weatherstripping at the roof where the top closes, they are going to replace this and the door weatherstripping on the driver's side.

Thanks everyone.
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

When I first got my NC I hadn't read the manual before putting the top down or up. The manual says to have the windows down or the doors open. Actually common sense. Something I was to excited with my new ride to take into consideration. The dealer replaced the seals as it rained huge the day I got my car and I took the car back the next morning. with standing water in it. Good luck and the problem has not returned.
Jeffery
sh10533

Post by sh10533 »

Thanks for that, I have put the windows down or had the doors opened when moving the top up or down, so I wish I could say it was that. I actually hope that maybe I left a window cracked or something...oh well, they are replacing the seals on that side, hopefully for free...

Also, there is a hard core rattle coming from the panel where the top latch engages when down. Mazda has sent their dealerships some info on this, they will be taking the panel off, adding some foam dampening, and putting it all back together. Let you know.
RoadsterRunner

Post by RoadsterRunner »

Just for your info:

I have a small water leak (requires very heavy rain or water pressure) on the driver's side where the window seals to the softtop.

I also have noticed the rattle during driving where the softtop latches when down. I find the rattle obtrusive and unreasonable but the dealer thinks it's 'normal'. :roll:

I'd be interested in more info on (either of the two above) related TSBs that I can show the dealer next time I'm there for a service.
sh10533

Post by sh10533 »

I found the TSBs at miata.net. Use http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/, Brian I hope it is OK to post their URL. The TSB for the leak is http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb09-013-06-1608.pdf

I should be getting the car back today and I'll let you know if they fixed it and how.
RoadsterRunner

Post by RoadsterRunner »

Thanks for the links. I'd appreciate news of your results with Mazda.

Hopefully your issues are resolved quickly.
sh10533

Post by sh10533 »

Got the car back today, they didn't find anything with the transmission so nothing done there. They ordered the weatherstripping for the driver's door and I'll have that taken care of when it comes in. As far as the rattle, I don't know what they did to it but I didn't hear it today (though it was incessant a few days ago), I did have the top down most of the day today so maybe just missing it. I'll let you know what develops. Thanks.
sh10533

update: where's the lifeguard?

Post by sh10533 »

found today almost a half gallon of stading water on the passenger side behind the seat and under the floor mat, back to the dealership on wednesday. the rattle still exists, seems there is a TSB on that as well, http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb09-026-06-1647.pdf. made a nice cover out of 6 mil plastic for the top, come on Ernesto bring it!