Project Ridgeline....the Shop Truck!

Welcome to the Good-Win Racing Forum. Feel free to tell us who you are, leave any comments or suggestionson how we can serve you better
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Project Ridgeline....our new Shop Truck!

Post by Brian »

Heavy dew overnight meant the Ridgeline we left dirty from the 1200+ mile road trip last week was primed for a good washing before the Sun got on it. I believe we really don't know what a vehicle looks like until we get our soapy mitts over all the surface features to help our eyes see details that might not be obvious. Appreciate even more that this truck is so much more aerodynamically clean than typical boxy design trucks.

I do have a rattle in the backseat behind the driver, suspect the flimsy covers over the baby seat mounts around the headrest area. Perhaps somebody else has had similar?

This picture also well documents how narrow my driveway is, the Ridgeline is edge to edge and the driveway continues down behind the Ridgeline to my garage another 20+ yards back. Had a few big towing buddies tease me for not getting a full size truck, but it was never an option as the Ridgeline itself barely fits back and forth.
Attachments
RidgelineWash2.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

With our new Ridgeline truck I been loading everything from a stack of roofing shingles (well in excess of load limit) to lots of wheels and tires and today the first Costco run. This Ridgeline party trick of having the tailgate lay flat like a traditional truck or swing out has already made my list of 5 best features. I didn't realize how tired I was of reaching way over a laid down tailgate to get boxes and wheels/tires, etc.
Attachments
20200721_151849.jpg
20200721_151941.jpg
RidgelineTailgate.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Slowly making a list of things to upgrade in our Ridgeline and the oil cooler is on the list. Stock cooler is best described as 'cute', barely bigger than a paperback novel. Had already read lots of comments from those towing regularly that they were getting warning lights for high transmission temps. We will be towing our racecars on open aluminum trailer to events but I got high temps without towing already on a test 'fun run' for testing brake upgrades in the canyons near here while paddle shifting. It's a pretty easy upgrade for us to develop as a simple plug and play item.

Stock dims roughly
Core Thickness:1.26
Core Height:2.43
Core Length:9.80
Attachments
ridgelinestockcoolers.jpg
ridgelinestockcoolers.jpg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 56305 times
StockRidgelineOilCooler.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JoeT628

Post by JoeT628 »

I’m a long time Ridgeline owner, 12 yrs and 330,000 kms on mine. It’s been the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. Someday I’ll update to the new generation. Good luck with yours.
RonaldS636

Post by RonaldS636 »

Longtime lurker on mazdatalkforum but I had to jump in to congratulate you on the RL. My 2018 RTL-E has been terrific and I've added a few enhancements and upgrades making it even more "loveable". Let me know if you want a list... I'm very interested in your projects to upgrade the brakes (a bit weak, I agree) and the transmission cooler.

BTW, my Honda "SUT" is garage mates with a 2013 NC GT PRHT 6MT (my obsession) with a rather long list of upgrades, most sourced through GWR!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

RonaldS636 wrote:Longtime lurker on mazdatalkforum but I had to jump in to congratulate you on the RL. My 2018 RTL-E has been terrific and I've added a few enhancements and upgrades making it even more "loveable". Let me know if you want a list... I'm very interested in your projects to upgrade the brakes (a bit weak, I agree) and the transmission cooler.

BTW, my Honda "SUT" is garage mates with a 2013 NC GT PRHT 6MT (my obsession) with a rather long list of upgrades, most sourced through GWR!

YES, super interested in the mods list that owners are doing....and which you really like.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RonaldS636

Post by RonaldS636 »

My wheels and tires were probably my best upgrade. I stuck with Honda branded wheels, using the 20" black ones from the 2018 Pilot, 20x8j, 55 offset. I added 255/50 Michelin Defenders and have really appreciated the ride quality and it is as quiet or better than stock. It looks better! I retained the stock 18" wheels for some winter Blizzaks. This rig will truly amaze you in the snow and ice with studless ice tires like these.

If I did the wheels now, I would opt for the latest 20x8.5 rims from the 2019-20 Passport and would probably try a 265/45 like the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (can you tell I'm a Michelin fan-boy?). This setup might give better turn-in feel.

I added the BAK Revolver tonneau cover and BedRug bed liner. Both great add-ons.

I also added a VanTech USA P-3000 ladder rack system. The adjustable racks are very versatile and slide on and off easily. I don't have them on 98% of the time - only when I need them.

I installed rear door checkers that allow wider opening and a rear tailgate lock, but your 2020 already has these upgrades!

The latest change is the much-debated device that disables the factory variable cylinder management (3 cylinder mode). I knew that this system was suspect on pervious versions of the Honda 3.5 and felt that it was sometimes noticeable on the RL with odd vibrations and slow throttle response off cruising speeds. I got the one known as S-VCM. It does the trick with regards to the symptoms and hopefully will help my engine last longer... Do your own research but be prepared for a long, dark rabbit hole!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

First six hours of towing today.

Still want better BRAKES! If someone cuts in front of you and you need to stop in a hurry the stock pedal keeps going and going and going. Otherwise super smooth and pretty effortless tow with aluminum trailer and light sports car up the Cajon pass at 70mph with zero issues.
Attachments
Futura.jpg
RidgelineTow.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Testing full bed limit today, mostly tile, no issues for the Ridgeline.
Attachments
MaxloadHonda.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thinking about some of our Enkei wheels for our Ridgeline. Looking online found this picture, but want to get similar look in our Enkei Brand:

Enkei XM-6...in GREY or BLACK 20x8.5 with 255/50/20 tire. Renderings are not great...
Ridgeline20b.png
ENkei20.png

Found real pic of the black on a Honda Passport....
EnkeiXM6.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com