nd2

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
RobertC972

nd2

Post by RobertC972 »

I currently own a stock 2016 nd club Brembo with SQTT and am looking at a 2021 club non Brembo. I am a little concerned about some comments on miata.net saying the nd2 gives up a lot of low end torque in favor of top end power.
I love the torque of my nd1 and am unable to find an answer as to if I will be happy with an nd2 with SQTT. I have read tons of threads that say they love the top end rush but comments about the the torque below 5000 rpm are all over the map. Brian I saw a post by you on miata.net that I can't find now but you stated the you thought the nd2 was better in every way. Could you please expand on that a bit to hopefully remove my fears about regretting the move to the nd2
Brian
Site Admin

Re: nd2

Post by Brian »

ND2 motor is so much better...that you will miss nothing about the ND1 motor. Instead of just dumping a Mazda3 motor in, they finally made it a proper hotrod little motor. It freely spins higher and freer, smoother, makes more power pretty much everywhere. You won't feel very slight shift of peak torque rpms, you will feel at all times the motor is more free to spin into the upper rpms because everything about making the motor BREATH has been fixed (bigger holes into the motor, bigger holes out of the motor...including everything along the way).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RobertC972

Re: nd2

Post by RobertC972 »

Thanks Brian, I had driven a 2019 club when they first came out but because it only had like 10 miles on it I wasn't going to redline it to feel the power. I came away thinking it really wasn't much different than mine below 5000rpm but that was before I put the SQTT on mine and that seemed to wake it up a noticeable amount. A neighbor picked up a 2020 gt last fall so maybe I will ask if I can try his to see how a broken in nd2 runs. :)
Thanks again for the response.