New Rear Koni and Springs-feel blown

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ThomasH359

New Rear Koni and Springs-feel blown

Post by ThomasH359 »

After installing just the rear Konis and Progress springs my ride is terrible, and feels like im riding a boat! Ive tried to turn the metal key that adjusts the shock but is doesn't seam to change anything about the ride. Any help would be appreciated.
"......I don't always pick the Ball Room, but i always come to Dance!"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New Rear Koni and Springs-feel blown

Post by Brian »

Your choice of words seems a bit contradictory. The NC was often called a 'boat' by owners of other generations because it rode so soft in stock form and wallowed ....like a boat. So when you say it rides like a boat that sounds like it rides too soft? For the sake of my response below I will assume by 'ride is terrible' you mean it rides too stiff, but that's far from clear in what you wrote.

I can't imagine having a pulse and not feeling the difference in adjusting the KONI knob, it's really obvious to me in going full stiff to full soft. Assuming you want it softer, are you sure you turned the KONI to full soft? The reason I ask is the knob is not intuitive, it is not 'rightie tightie' but actually the reverse of what folks often expect, you go full right clockwise to full soft. As a result, seen numerous cases of folks dialing the shock full counterclockwise to full stiff by mistake. Look at the adjuster metal key that has '-' and '+', and my guess is that you went in the direction of '+' to full stiff. Either that or the shop that did the install also checked tire pressures and put you way over 30psi.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ThomasH359

Re: New Rear Koni and Springs-feel blown

Post by ThomasH359 »

well I figured the guy that installed them did not know what he was doing....he didn't put the rubber washers back right and didn't tighten the top nuts. Solution--I just installed newish coilovers. By the way shocks may be blown not sure.
"......I don't always pick the Ball Room, but i always come to Dance!"