ND Steering in GT RF - first impressions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
SeanM476

ND Steering in GT RF - first impressions

Post by SeanM476 »

So I’m on my first full day of driving my 2019 GT RF. My first time ever driving a Miata. I’m 10 years rusty on driving a manual, but this car is very forgiving. So far I’m having fun.

So the steering in this car is very curious. I come from driving hot hatches and other European cars recently but before that it was old American rear wheel drive v-8s. I had everything checked out on the car, so it’s not an alignment issue as far as I know. The car doesn’t seem to have a smooth flow to it when it comes to keeping on a line. You have to force it to go where you want. You can definitely feel the front end is there and it is what I would call a darting type of steering. I guess the lack of weight of the car matters here. Is this normal and is there something I can do via suspension upgrade or manipulation or is it something I will have to get used to?
Sean
2019 GT RF
Machine Grey
RoadsterSport Suspension Package/RoadsterSport SuperStreet Single-tip exhaust.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND Steering in GT RF - first impressions

Post by Brian »

I think you are saying the steering is very light on feel, and indeed the electric assist is very light and takes some time to get accustomed to....but you will get accustomed to it. I still notice how light it is when I jump back and forth between current and prior generations (or one of our trucks), but you will quickly get accustomed to it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
SeanM476

Post by SeanM476 »

Ok, I can accept that. I’ve had hydraulic steering in most of my cars and this steering seems way too easy in terms of effort. I’m used to heavy steering and this car feels like I’m steering in a video game. It’s crazy how it’s like a point and click experience. I turn and it just goes immediately. It’s not as intuitive as hydraulic and so you have to force yourself to think about input more often. Something to get used to. This car almost would be better with no power steering at all, but I’ve owned those and they are not fun in a parking lot. I had a ‘72 Beetle.

I would liken this to cart racing steering if you’ve ever done it. Little inputs lead to large changes.
Sean
2019 GT RF
Machine Grey
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

So, what are your alignment numbers?
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
SeanM476

Post by SeanM476 »

Not sure I’ll have to grab them. I had them do a full inspection and that was something they cleared.
Sean
2019 GT RF
Machine Grey
SeanM476

Post by SeanM476 »

BillK336 wrote:So, what are your alignment numbers?
So no numbers, just that it was checked during inspection. It doesn’t pull, it tracks straight. I just have to get used to the light feel. I plan on tire replacement in the next 5000 miles, so I’ll have it checked then or earlier if I get sways and springs. I did my first run through Highland Valley Road, if you know San Diego. I only live a mile from where it starts. I had no issues with steering under high speed slaloming, just general issues with city driving. The car goes where my eyes go sooner than I expect and there isn’t much road feel. Great for bumpy roads, just bad for road connection at slower speeds.

On another note, my first time on a twisty road with some switchbacks and positive and negative g turns and I was laughing out loud excited. Like a ride on a roller coaster. I loved every second. My best decision about a vehicle since my first Ducati track day. I love it!
Sean
2019 GT RF
Machine Grey
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

With some play in the caster numbers we have some influence on the 'weight' of the steering, but the electric assist is still super light in a way that prior generations with hydraulic are not. I didn't like it at first, can't say that I have ever come to like it, but I got accustomed enough to it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

My 2016 GT behaves similarity and it's a bit of an annoyance. The steering appears to be "sticky" requiring a bit of effort (as compared to my 2020 CX-5) to make very minor correction and even to change direction. Hard steering inputs is not a problem, only minor corrective ones. The added steering effort results in a slight over steering followed by the same procedure to counter the over-steering; its not a smooth transition. At highway speeds I feel quite uneasy. I don't recall the car behaving that way and this is now been going on/off for a couple of years.

For example, if you turn into a long easy curve and loosen the grip (safely) on the steering wheel, the car would stay tracked on the curve. The steering wheel will not self centered and the car will generally follow the initial curve input.

The first dealer could not find any problems and a second dealer ("experienced" in this issue) claims it was the ESM. I had several alignments, even back to specs. The module was replaced and initially improved things, but not 100% and the problem resurfaced six months later. Now living too far to take back to that dealer. Also this issue appears to be temperature bias; more noticeable in warmer weather than in cold.

On another forum, some have claimed it was the steering rack and others the battery. Also there is an torque sensor in the steering column that might be at issue.

Just wondering if there is a wiring or connection issue. I probably need to drive another ND to compare as I don't know if this is normal.
SeanM476

Post by SeanM476 »

That experience on the highway is like mine. Seems very unsettled. It’s difficult to stay in my lane. Doesn’t track very well. I’m going to try new tires and an alignment.
Sean
2019 GT RF
Machine Grey
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

A little more caster will probably calm the car down nicely.