Rivian Truck

Welcome to the Good-Win Racing Forum. Feel free to tell us who you are, leave any comments or suggestionson how we can serve you better
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Rivian Truck

Post by Brian »

Rivian for surfing!
RivianSurf.jpg
RivianSurf.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4779 times
Wow, the bed is so much shorter than my last several trucks! That's my Rivian today with 7'6 foot board. I didn't want to bother getting the optional Rivian racks because I don't like having to tie down the board, I want to put the board in and go. But the bed is a bit short so this is what I am doing with the 7 foot boards and my 8 foot board goes 'corner to corner' from front passenger side of bed to driver rear of bed with a bungee cord to hold the bag in place. I find it a challenge to lift the tailgate back up when wet, my other trucks have had a plastic lip spoiler at the top of the tailgate and worked well as a handle. The Rivian doesn't have it and I end up grabbing the paint and scratches are going to be an issue fast unless I get some PPF on that painted surface below the top plastic of the tailgate.

I find the gear tunnel doesn't work well as step for me to get into the bed while dripping wet in the wetsuit, so I added step/hitch you might be able to just barely see here. Some places I park to surf we have a guard rail inches from passenger side, preventing me from dropping gear tunnel on that side, and road is pretty close on driver side such that gear tunnel door is a hazard if dropped on either side. I want to step from the back into the bed like I have always done to change back to street clothes and only the Rivian lacks a rear step, every other truck in the world has a rear step molded into the bumper design, on the bumper, often both, etc. Clearly this is Rivian's first truck effort and I am surprised such a basic item was overlooked (and before anyone says gear tunnel again, many modern trucks have step in that area AND step options at the rear).

For comparison, my neighbor is a Contractor, look at all the step options, that's a truck actually designed for bed access for both work and play. SEVEN built in step points that don't require the owner to unlock the truck and lower a panel for step access when their hands are full and wet, that's rational truck design! I bet an update of this truck down the line includes some step options molded into the rear bumper area, it would be easy to do. It is crazy that there are no steps to access the bed of the Rivian unless you first unlock it and then drop a gear tunnel door. When hands are full and wet that's the last thing I want to do.
TruckSteps.jpg
TruckSteps.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4778 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our second experience with Rivian service at the house today, a piece of trim was peeling off. I made the service request via the phone app on Saturday night, they showed up today and replaced the trim in about 30min. So far, the prompt service and ease of having their mobile installers just come to the house has been very nice.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

And now a few hours later I have installed the latest software update. This over the air Rivian update today included a lot of useful stuff....and some stuff just for FUN. Found "Halloween" mode in the notes, enabled it gets orange interior lighting and humans walking down the sidewalk along the road are rendered as zombies on the screen display, plus the door locking sound is now an owl hoot, and the unlock is a wolf howling.
Attachments
20221031_124417.jpg
20221031_124417.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4591 times
20221031_124139.jpg
20221031_124139.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 4591 times
h1.jpeg
h1.jpeg (96.3 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another aftermarket Rivian wheel. This is the second model from Variant, and I like this one a lot.

Forged Wheels Variant SSX-1P for Rivian R1T & R1S

The Variant SSX-1P is a classic 6 spoke design that offers an iconic Street look and is especially classy when your Rivian is in a lower stance setting. Designed in Chandler, Arizona, final machined in-house with the Variant CNC system.

Rivian Style was the original inspiration for Variant to build wheels for the truck. Our owner Mark brought his truck to Robert (CEO) and the team at Variant to build a wheel far better than the OEM and this was accomplished in the Varian SSP-1 off road style.

Center bore is 64.1 mm
Thread pitch is 14 x 1.5 mm with a 22 mm head

20" x 9" (Rivian Fitment)
21" x 9" (Rivian Fitment)
22" x 9" (Rivian Fitment)
Attachments
RS1.jpg
RS1.jpg (164.08 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
RS2.jpg
RS2.jpg (283.93 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
RS3.jpg
RS3.jpg (563.7 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
RS4.jpg
RS4.jpg (262.79 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The other Variant wheel, more of an offroad look. 38mm offset instead of stock 48mm offset. 9 inch wide instead of stock 8.5 wide.
Variant Wheels - Taylor (209.814.4903) T

20x8.5+48 to a 20x9.0+38 . The tires move out 10mm and the wheels 16mm
Attachments
RIVIAN-BANNER.jpg
RIVIAN-BANNER.jpg (178.02 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
vv2.jpg
vv2.jpg (138.87 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Stock info on factory wheels, for reference later.
Weight: 88 lbs (with tires mounted)
Size: 20x8.5,
Offset: +48mm
Bolt pattern: 5 x 5.5
Construction: 20" wheels are forged. 21" and 22" wheels are all cast.

20" Wheels Specs:

Weight: 88 lbs (with tires mounted)
Size: 20x8.5,
Offset: +48mm
Bolt pattern: 5 x 5.5
Construction: 20" wheels are forged. 21" and 22" wheels are all cast.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sold as a set of 4 wheels
Size: 20x9.0" Front, 20x9.0" Rear
Offset: +38 Front, +38 Rear
Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x5.5 (5x139.7mm)
Engineered by Team 1EV for use with factory Rivian lug nuts (not included)
Engineered by Team 1EV to use factory Rivian TPMS (not included)
Engineered by Team 1EV to use Rivian center caps (not included)
Directional design with functional brake exhaust vents
Sold in sets, 2 left and 2 right wheels
Center Bore: 64.1
Construction: Fully Forged
Weight: 35.4 lbs
Load Rating: 1,125 kg/2,475 lbs
Recommended Tire Size: 275/65/20
Colors: Matte Black, Gloss Black, Anthracite Gray, Champagne Rosé, Brush Satin, Velocity Red, Diamond Black, Imperial Red.
Team 1EV Forged Wheels are Made in the USA
Attachments
ev1.jpg
ev1.jpg (450.41 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
EV2.jpg
EV2.jpg (458.14 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Seems only right that the Rivian fetched the extra solar panels it needs to be well fed.

The Rivian arrived last June and our existing solar installation had us covered with zero electric bill and daily charging until the short Winter days. My math is that about a half dozen more 300w panels should easily cover even the darkest Winter here. Got these at an auction for a solar business that went under, brand new and not installed and yet not recent enough that anyone else was willing to pay more than a fraction of their original cost. These 'old' standard 60 cell panels are perfect fit for our existing system and space. The newest panels are much bigger and are two-man required for safe lift and install, these LG 320w panels I can still hustle onto the roof myself easily enough. We have not had a residential electric bill in nearly two decades and I was not about to start paying SDGE just because the Rivian is a bit more thirsty than our other electric items.
Attachments
SolarDelivery.jpg
SolarDelivery.jpg (587.99 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Kyle Conner did a lot more miles than we did, but otherwise pretty much agree with the assessment: at one year for him and for us the Rivian continues to impress.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Back with the little Amazon caps.
Attachments
RIvianLittleCaps.JPG
RIvianLittleCaps.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 3933 times
Brian Goodwin