Rivian Truck

Welcome to the Good-Win Racing Forum. Feel free to tell us who you are, leave any comments or suggestionson how we can serve you better
Brian
Site Admin

Rivian Truck

Post by Brian »

The electric future is coming, how does Good-Win Racing get ready for that? Well, we get something electric as a shop truck and see what we can do with it. I sat in one of these at SEMA years ago, been intrigued ever since.

The driving experience so far is pretty amazing! As a hotrod racer what impresses me is how the Rivian R1T has a McLaren 720S-Like Suspension System with no sway bars. Banked freeway ramps are impressively flat regardless of the 7000 pound weight. It goes fast straight, it goes fast in turns too. We can't sell sway bars for this thing because it doesn't have sway bars. And factory Ohlins Damper Air suspension is already pretty amazing so we won't be offering an Ohlins upgrade since it has them already with height adjustment from the factory with push of a button. We could offer wheels. What else? Hope to figure that out.
Attachments
RivianDelivery.jpg
RivianDelivery.jpg (626.09 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
matthew-m

Re: Rivian Truck

Post by matthew-m »

Wow, 3 shop trucks! :shock: Do you still have room for Miatas? :lol:

So which of the 3 will be the first to go, ie which do you like the least?
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Ridgeline is getting sold....despite fact it finally feels SO RIGHT. And I think the Ridgeline now looks amazing with our Enkei wheels and our Springs. And the Ridgeline finally handles great with our rear sway upgrade added to our springs. But we can't afford them all so it is getting flipped immediately.

Maverick may be with us just long enough to do our own springs and sways and who knows what else. But hard to say, perhaps I fall in love with the Maverick more and flip the Rivian. I date from the original mini truck days and something about driving the little Maverick brings that back and puts a smile on my face. So, the Rivian feels like the future, the Maverick feels like past and present, not sure how this all turns out.
Attachments
RidgelineFun.jpg
RidgelineFun.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 4599 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Delivery last week resulted in a quick delivery to Auto Armour for paint protection film application to the front end. We do PPF on every new vehicle at this point because modern paint gets decimated too easily without it. Note that Auto Armour is changing names this week to 'One of One,' but same great service and price. Talk with Austin or Evan.
Attachments
20220706_133450.jpg
20220706_133450.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4530 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Need wider wheels! I am quickly reaching limit of stock wheel and tire package, with all four corners howling in corners. Obvious challenge here includes the vehicle weight. Going to need forged and high load ratings. Want 20x10.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Rivian did the first 'truck' jobs yesterday, including predawn surfing with the surfboard sticking out the back and then hauling some prototype exhaust bits (yes, some irony in an EV hauling exhausts). The bed is much shorter than my prior 'everything' truck. That means even the 7'6 board I rode yesterday is pretty out over the tailgate. But in a padded board bag with a bungee cord it didn't move around. One issue with surfing is that normally when I return to the truck I step up into the bed from the rear bumper and wrap a towel around me for a quick change from wetsuit back to street outfit, but there is no step in the rear bumper of the Rivian. You can lower the gear tunnel and use it as rear step except it is locked like the rest of the truck and even when down it is just not real convenient for the task. I ended up stepping from the side using the 33 inch high tire as my step, but I might just design our own hitch step rear bumper thing that gets me easier bed access.

Meanwhile my wife picked up a nail in the tire of our 2019 Miata in driving it to her pickleball game (bad pun opportunity fully embraced when she showed me: 'well, that is a pickle.'). Pulled the wheel and put it in the back of the Rivian and drove it to our shop to plug it (nail got me right between the ribs, easy spot to five dollar plug). With my hands dirty from lifting the wheel and tire I then lifted the tailgate and got it dirty. That's when I noted that another thing I don't like is the smooth and seamless transition to painted surface at the tailgate means I am going to scratch the crap out of the paint there unless I add some PPF on the tailgate.....which I will do this week.

First observations on the driving experience after first few days of driving it. The Rivian is the fastest thing I have ever owned with three second 0-60. The McLaren 720s style 'no sway bars' hydraulic roll control system keeps this monster really flat in the turns. Add that up and if you see a spot in traffic this monster can leap into it with the blink of an eye. When our shop alarm caught somebody jumping the fence Friday night I made a personal best time to the shop with baseball bat in hand and the Rivian as my fast steed (local Cops still beat me there and chased the guy away). The only thing that lets down the entire package ultimately is the weight, it is hard to hide 7000 pounds even with a super fancy Ohlins air bag hydraulic roll control system, the tires eventually are howling and screaming for mercy. Thus, I know that one of the first things I want to do is a wider wheel and tire package for more grip. We got ours equipped with the 21 inch, the most efficient setup from Rivian and we will put that back on for road trips but for around town I want something that is not screaming for mercy so quick. So, looking at changing stock 21x8.5 to something 9 inches wider or more. The massive weight means really want a forged offering, ideally 9.5 or 10 inches wide. There are a few forged wheel makers already jumping into the Rivian application, so far my favorite is this one:

Attachments
RivianForgiatos.jpg
RivianForgiatos.jpg (189.54 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 09-08-49 car gallery.png
Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 09-08-49 car gallery.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 4488 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The first mod is complete! The 21 inch aero covers are off and some little Amazon center caps. Call me an old school hot rod dude but I just need to see the Brembo brakes and I don't care if we give up a few percent of efficiency, we charge with surplus solar for free at home and the shop.

With AERO covers:
AeroRivian.jpg
AeroRivian.jpg (988.05 KiB) Viewed 4417 times

With Amazon Center Caps:
AeroGoneRivian.jpg
AeroGoneRivian.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 4417 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More players jumping into Rivian market with forged choices.
Attachments
AGwheelstwo.jpg
AGwheelstwo.jpg (520.55 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Rivian did the first 'truck' jobs yesterday, including predawn surfing with the surfboard sticking out the back and then hauling some prototype exhaust bits. The bed is much shorter than my prior 'everything' truck and that means even the 7'6 board I rode yesterday is pretty out over the tailgate, but in a padded board bag with a bungee cord it didn't move around. One issue with surfing is that normally return to the truck and step up into the bed from the rear bumper and wrap a towel around me for a quick change from wetsuit back to street cloths.....but there is no step in the rear bumper. I might just design our own hitch step rear bumper thing that gets me easier bed access. You can lower the gear tunnel and use it as rear step except it is locked like the rest of the truck and even when down it is just not real convenient for the task.

Meanwhile my wife picked up a nail in the tire of our 2019 Miata in driving it to her pickleball game (bad pun opportunity fully embraced when she showed me: 'well, that is a pickle.'). Pulled the wheel and put it in the back of the Rivian and drove it to our shop to plug it (nail got me right between the ribs, easy spot to five dollar plug). One thing I don't like is the smooth and seamless transition to painted surface at the tailgate means I am going to scratch the crap out of the paint there unless I add some PPF on the tailgate.....which I will do this week.

First observations after first few days of driving it. The Rivian is the fastest thing I have ever owned with three second 0-60. The McLaren 720s style 'no sway bars' hydraulic roll control system keeps this monster really flat in the turns. Add that up and if you see a spot in traffic this monster can leap into it with the blink of an eye. When our shop alarm caught somebody jumping the fence Friday night I made a personal best time to the shop with baseball bat in hand and the Rivian as my fast steed (local Cops still beat me there and chased the guy away). The only thing that lets down the entire package ultimately is the weight, it is hard to hide 7000 pounds even with a super fancy Ohlins air bag hydraulic roll control system, the tires eventually are howling and screaming for mercy. Thus, I know that one of the first things I want to do is a wider wheel and tire package for more grip. We got ours equipped with the 21 inch, the most efficient setup from Rivian and we will put that back on for road trips but for around town I want something that is not screaming for mercy so quick. So, looking at changing stock 21x8.5 to something 9 inches wider or more. The massive weight means really want a forged offering, ideally 9.5 or 10 inches wide. There are a few forged wheel makers already jumping into the Rivian application, so far my favorite is this one:
Attachments
fgs.jpeg
fgs.jpeg (149.81 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I want to step into the bed from the back! This is one of the omissions that makes it obvious that Rivian is a rookie. Love driving this thing but every truck in the world has some sort of step from the rear for good reason.

Several mornings I have come back to the truck with my surfboard under my arm and found it a challenge to get into the bed of the truck so I can wrap a towel around me and change back into street cloths. I don't have the package with the wrist key so my key is locked in combo lockbox in the open bed, meaning the gear tunnel is also locked. And even if I put the board down to get the key so I can lower the gear tunnel I find use of that as a step from there into the bed in a dripping wetsuit to be treacherous at best. It would be been EASY to include molded in step at the rear, every other truck on the earth has a rear step for the simple reason that we truck owners often want to step into the rear bed from the rear of the truck. So, trying this SuperBumper Step as my first attempt at solving the challenge. It's a step, and a 25mph bumper.
Attachments
SuperBumper.jpg
SuperBumper.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4329 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com