NC KONI RACE COILOVERS!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JohnS087

Re: NC KONI RACE COILOVERS!

Post by JohnS087 »

Looks like a great kit. Do you know and can pass on the spring rate for the bump stops? I am hoping to make some suspension comparison calculations.

Also, would your Roadstersport sways be a good pairing? More roll control than stock but less than the Progress sways?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

JohnS087 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:52 am Looks like a great kit. Do you know and can pass on the spring rate for the bump stops? I am hoping to make some suspension comparison calculations.

Also, would your Roadstersport sways be a good pairing? More roll control than stock but less than the Progress sways?
During development I had the info handy on the stops on my desk and we tested half a dozen choices. I will chase that down again in my notes and get it added here.

As strongly suggested in the product description we suggest stock sways to start with these because those are Koni Race shocks with a lot of compression damping and most folks are just not going to need sway bar upgrade with this setup. Obviously that will depend on ultimate choice of grip levels, more wheel and tire needs more roll resistance, but with the 17x8 and 235/40 200 treadwear setup we used for testing this setup it is really flat even with the Koni Race set to full soft. Thus, I would never suggest sway upgrade on day one with this setup, drive it first and decide later if you actually need more roll resistance.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GregS556

Post by GregS556 »

Hi Brian,

Did you use the stock or adjustable end links with the stock sway bars?
2015 Brilliant Back PRHT GT
JohnS087

Post by JohnS087 »

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

Separately, what is the stroke lengths of the Race Koni’s? Are they similar to the Koni Sports?
JohnS087

Post by JohnS087 »

Nevermind, read back and saw that the rears have 136mm of stroke. 👍
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Had some folks asking if the kit comes with bumpstops, so updated the pics showing the bumpstops on the shocks to help answer that.
NCClubSport 1.jpg
NCClubSport 1.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 5837 times
And a note on the collars that come included with the shocks. There are two collars; a spring perch and a locking collar. The spring perch has a shelf on top that fits inside the spring. The locking collar has no shelf and just butts up against the underside of the spring perch collar to hold it in place:
NCKoniRace Collars.jpg
NCKoniRace Collars.jpg (372.13 KiB) Viewed 5838 times
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Installed pics courtesy of J-Kite on miata.net
NCClubSport_Rear_1.jpg
NCClubSport_Rear_1.jpg (150.71 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
NCClubSport_Front_1.jpg
NCClubSport_Front_1.jpg (161.93 KiB) Viewed 5482 times
caf2461

Post by caf2461 »

Brian,
What can I expect on going from an early Koni yellow/Progress spring setup to this setup for general street use in my NC1?
Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

caf2461 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:57 am Brian,
What can I expect on going from an early Koni yellow/Progress spring setup to this setup for general street use in my NC1?
Thanks
A lot more performance, full control of heights at each corner, and yet about the same ride quality. These springs are ultimately a lot more rate and that equals a lot more speed and faster suspension reaction in the turns. But travel much longer than what you have now, which makes ultimate ride and impact over rougher bits of road quite a bit better (rough bits of road that would bottom the setup you have now won't bottom this new setup).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great Autocross Fun with the new setup on our 07 Miata. Fifty competitors and fastest gas powered thing was a little old 07 Miata. As an instructor for BMW Club I had passengers on all my fast runs, but we get more runs than typical SCCA days. Lots of compliments on this new color of classic Enkei RP-F1 wheels and the ability of this new coilover setup to soak up the busted pavement and potholes of our autocross lot. Was there before Sunrise and that made good opportunity for pics of the new color enkei wheels. Afternoon light makes them look darker, morning warm sunshine really makes the color pop. Tire is Falken 235/40. I would normally run MORE wheel and tire on NC in any class that allows coilover but this setup is so long on travel you just can't run the typical 255/40 unless you want to add a good inch of packers to keep the big tires out of the fender liners. Scroll DOWN below the pics for full thoughts after a fun day.

Enkei RPF1 17x9 5x114 +45mm Race Bronze.
https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-P ... -3461.html

RoadsterSport NC ClubSport Coilovers
2006-2015 NC Miata
https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-P ... -3456.html

Progress Technologies NC Generation MX5 AntiSway Bar Combo
2006-2015
OUR BEST NC SWAYS!
https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-P ... -1232.html

This victory today does NOT mean I would recommend this setup as first choice for autocross. Like I say in the product description, it is a soft riding setup by design. It rides better than anything else with this much spring rate, 7kg front and 4kg rear, and that's a lot more spring rate than stock. But it is still MUCH softer than I would normally run in this car for any beyond-stock class that allows coilovers. Typically I would want at least 9kg/5kg in the car and our last Budget NC project had good success on 10kg/6kg and used 17x10 wheels and 255/40 tires. This car is NEVER going to fit near as much tire because of the extra long travel of this setup, unless we give up all that lovely travel with 1.5 inches of packers. That's the tradeoff folks, you can have the monster wheel and tire setup or you can have the travel that makes 7kg/4kg rates much more comfortable than they can be in any shorter travel setup. It's a world of tradeoffs, make your choice.

Also, all that travel and relative softness means the reflexes of this setup are slower than I am accustomed to for autocross. News Flash: Extra Travel Consumes Extra Time! This was less obvious for track fun because tracks are much more open and there is a lot more time to get the car set for the next turn. In autocross time is ticking away really fast in slalom transitions as you go from being into the stops on one side through all the extra travel into the stops on the other side of the car. A car with much less travel has faster response. Thanks to the spring rates this car is much faster in all respects than stock, but I had to use a lot of patience and wait for the setup to roll over and respond to my inputs when normally I would cut and trust the car through the course much more aggressively. Since a lot of folks asked me if we could use the setup for autocross I figured we would do an event and see how it goes, and I won the day on it. Nonetheless, note I never cone as much as I did today, that's a reflection of the soft setup and the fact I was yanking it around violently trying to move through cones fast but was forced to wait for it to use up all the travel and sit on the bumpstops. So, it certainly can win as it did today, but winning would be a lot easier on our coilovers with more spring rate and LESS travel. I have noticed some in this forum think more travel is always good, but it costs time and in competition that is sometimes won by a fraction of a second that extra travel is consuming a relatively big amount of time. Thus, it would never be my first choice for autocross or track, too soft and 'too much travel' to have fast responses compared to our setups with more rate and less travel. Nothing with 7/4kg rates rides like this setup thanks to the extra long travel design, but that travel costs time.

We do have 9kg/5kg springs in prototype that will go into the car for next event so we can see how much better it can do with a bit more rate to make the reflexes faster. But I fear that will just cause some folks analysis paralysis, they will suddenly be unable to figure if they want the best ride they can get with 7/4kg sport touring combo we offer now, or the more race oriented 9/5kg combo that will certainly cost a good bit of the ride quality.
KoniAutocross.jpg
KoniAutocross.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
AutocrossNC.jpg
AutocrossNC.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com