Floor Jack recommendations, also tips and tricks?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LarryC555

Floor Jack recommendations, also tips and tricks?

Post by LarryC555 »

Like many folks, I have accumulated a pretty sizeable collection of floor jacks that mostly work. I'm to the point in life where I'd like to have one good floor jack that will work for the vast majority of my tasks. It doesn't need to be able to lift my tow vehicle.
I want it to be lightweight. One day at the track I borrowed an aluminum floor jack which weighed about a third of what my steel jack did. I bought one for myself within a week.
It needs to be able to lift a miata from either the diff or the front crossmember. My big jack is low enough to fit under each of them, but the handle won't lift enough to actually pump with the car on it's tires.
I want it to be good enough quality to last at least a decade or two. There's the old truism that anything you buy from harbor freight becomes a hammer within three years.
In direct conflict with the above, I'd like it to be affordable. If I could afford to spend four digits (to the left of the decimal place) on a floor jack I'd be looking at lifts. I'd also probably be driving an ND miata rather than an NB.
It's possible that there are also some nifty tips, tricks and tools that make it easier to jack up a miata.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Floor Jack recommendations, also tips and tricks?

Post by Brian »

I have several low cost aluminum floor jacks (one from Costco, one from Harbor Freight). My only real suggestion is get some of the amazon pucks with the notch, works great on Miata so you don't scratch up the pinch welds at the jack points.
Attachments
Puck.png
Puck.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com