Diff gear whine

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
matthew-m

Diff gear whine

Post by matthew-m »

I finally got around to installing the 3.63 ring and pinion in my 2010. The shop didn't have any shims so they reused the originals (with 80k miles). Unfortunately there's a whining sound while cruising. It goes away / decreases when throttle is applied.

We checked the torque settings internally after 200 miles (very light throttle) and used a better oil, but the noise didn't change.

Any idea how to make the noise go away? If so, the car will be perfect! The reduction of motor noise on the freeway is great and the improved fuel economy is a bonus. Plus I no longer over-rev the engine while changing gears.
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
matthew-m

Re: Diff gear whine

Post by matthew-m »

So I'm living with the noise, however I've had to replace the axle seal on the drivers side since the initial install. It leaked enough to cause the sway bar bushing to work loose from its housing. Now the new seal is leaking as well. Any ideas what would cause a new seal (5k miles) to leak?
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
matthew-m

Re: Diff gear whine

Post by matthew-m »

I found the answer at miata.net https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php ... stcount=18 . I hope I can get a part number for the driver side seal.
Matthew Metoyer