Wheel/Tire fitment to maximize cornering grip

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
RobertM931

Wheel/Tire fitment to maximize cornering grip

Post by RobertM931 »

Just looking for some advice on my thoughts for wheel and tire fitment for next season.. I have read the advice on your wheel fitment guide, and I am willing to do some fender rolling.

I have been participating in the 'autocross' program up at lime rock park (the small in-field race track).. This is a less formal format, and the only restriction is that the car needs to be street legal... I've been up against some more exotic cars as a result, but still managed 8th overall fastest time for the season... Goal is to get 1st next year :P which I think may be achievable with a super charger installed along with some fatter tires.

My thought is to go with 9 inch wheels, +45mm offset, and a set of 245/40/17 Hoosier A7s. I'm also looking at some offset bushings to give me a couple extra degrees of front camber and allow some extra clearance from the fender.

My other concern, being somewhat new to this whole thing, is whether I am getting to the point where I am putting too much stress on other components with tires this large and grippy.

Any advice? Thanks!

2021 MX-5
Ohlins w/ street springs (7/4 I think?)
karcepts front+rear
JBR diff mount
Last edited by RobertM931 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.