Help - 2008 Skid Plate for Transmission

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
WaltC063

Help - 2008 Skid Plate for Transmission

Post by WaltC063 »

My 2008 with automatic, when purchased in 2014 had a stamped sheet metal skid plate that mounted to the car front suspension support , the subframe rails on both sides and to another sheet metal piece forward of the differential, and covering the transmission pan and adjacent parts. It would have added some rigidity to the body and added some streamlining to the under body in addition to protecting the transmission pan.
It had to be removed to replace the oil filter. The piece was left off during an oil change by a service shop and not reinstalled.
The pan looked OEM to me being stamped, but all the parts drawings for my car I've seen including at the Mazda dealer don't show it.
I have looked at many, many online photos of aftermarket parts and not found anything like it.
Was something like this made aftermarket or by Mazda on a limited basis and discontinued? Has anyone see this part on an NC?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Help - 2008 Skid Plate for Transmission

Post by Brian »

There was no OEM skidplate ever offered that I recall, sounds like an aftermarket choice. My recollection is that Cobalt brand had a metal NC skidplate that sat under the motor at one point, we sold it, but that was discontinued a few years ago. It looked like this:
Attachments
Miata_Skid_Plate_NC.jpg
Miata_Skid_Plate_NC.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
WaltC063

Re: Help - 2008 Skid Plate for Transmission

Post by WaltC063 »

Brian, the skid plate I’m looking for goes from the engine cradle aft to the rear x-brace. I’ve seen dozens of skid plates under the engine but those are not what I want!