Car height question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
StephaneS764

Car height question

Post by StephaneS764 »

Miata ND 2020 Club, Brembo, Bilstein w/ H&R,4000 miles: Before I replaced the springs on the car, I measured the height of the fenders (on the right side only Unfortunately!), giving me a reference of 26" (floor to top wheel well). When I removed the original shocks on the rear, I noticed the right side bottom shock was easy to dislocate from its position, dropping perhaps 1/4' of the hub , however, when I separated the rear left side, the bottom of the shock was really hard to move off the hub. I was able to pry it out, dropping the shock to about 3/4" , which would indicate the left side suspension setup is tighter and higher than the right side. I installed all four corner set of shocks with H&R springs, and remeasured each corner. About 25" front Left , right, and rear right, the rear left side gave me 24.5" after realignement. My wife even noticed the car was lower on the left side while she followed me to the dealer for alignment. Not sure I can explain the difference of height. I double check my spring installation, but since I had issue separating the original left shock , I suspect something is a miss with the linkage or bent or ??? is this normal setup for miata to be lopsided? I have installed numerous H&R springs on my various BMWs , even my wife VW Sportwagen, so I can eliminate mistakes on my part related to rebuilding the shocks. New to Miata world, not sure what to make of it. Any ideas?
Stephane Salaün
Mazda Miata ND 2020
VW Sportwagen TDI 2015
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Car height question

Post by Brian »

Pretty much every miata we see is lower on driver's side, and we see that on cars straight from the dealer with just 50 miles on them. Most Miatas are driven solo most of the time, more weight on driver's side seems to cause that side to settle more. I doubt you have anything bent. So if that height difference bothers you then the answer is adjustable height coilovers so you can be in control of the precise heights of each corner and set them to whatever you like.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
StephaneS764

Re: Car height question

Post by StephaneS764 »

Update on my four corners height difference. Drove about 500 miles since, the suspension had time to settle. I remeasured all sides and have about 1/4” ( 0.635cm)lower rear left corner versus the other 3 corners. According to Miata manual, it is within specs (1.000cm). So, I’ll live with it till it is time to replace the shocks then I’ll look at adjustable coil over shocks.
Stephane Salaün
Mazda Miata ND 2020
VW Sportwagen TDI 2015