Supercharged ND track? Reliable?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
BillL338

Supercharged ND track? Reliable?

Post by BillL338 »

So reading though your posting on ND development, did you get this to a place you would feel comfortable as an advanced / fastish driver running this at southern california tracks in the summer for a car that you wanted to be 100% reliable and drive to and from the track with? Any / all mods on the table aka hood vents, grill, radiator, larger oil cooler, NC transmission, etc...

If not, what would your recipe be for a track ND with an open budget, but must be able to be driven to and from the track (no trailering) reliably.

The larger splitter I see on the ND track miata, was this ever developed for sale? Or alternatively would you fabricate for locals?

Bill
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Supercharged ND track? Reliable?

Post by Brian »

We got temps stabilized finally. With that the reliability should be about the same as unboosted ND.

We had no intent to market the splitter we made, see the choices available under "exterior" section on the site for ND. The Verus splitter is popular.

https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-P ... -2573.html
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RobertM931

Post by RobertM931 »

Out of curiousity, what did you do to keep temps in check?

I've installed the CSF radiator, but still having temperature issues on my supercharged setup. Im thinking too many radiators in the way.. Condenser, traction fluid cooler, oil cooler, intercooler...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

WE did about a dozen things....and no one item is enough. Indeed the cooler stack is just too much in the small nose. The nose was not designed as a boosted car nose, stock ND nose has a very small air inlet. The Fiat 124 version of same chassis has a lot more open grille square footage for the little turbo 1.4 it gets, including radiator that is taller. With the prior gen NC we had the advantage of optional MazdaSpeed noses that took a bigger gulp of air. So, with ND we start with taking a bigger gulp of air, the CarbonMiata nose. Moreover, I drilled out the holes that were not already open. And we vented the hood to suck a lot more air through the stack of coolers through the bigger nose grille. Then we started on the Moroso oil pan for ND that is finned so the oil temp won't spike as fast because it holds a lot more oil and it is finned to help cool that oil. And on top of all that we ran Ethanol to cool the motor from the inside because you pump so much more fluid than with pump gas. I am skipping over a ton of detail, but that's enough to get you started.
Attachments
TurboND_2.jpg
TurboND_2.jpg (172.77 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
TurboND_5.jpg
TurboND_5.jpg (104.69 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
NewNDBlue_louvers.jpg
NewNDBlue_louvers.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RobertM931

Post by RobertM931 »

Thanks man... I was actually somewhat tempted to pull out the aftermarket oil cooler and put the stock one back in so there's less obstruction in front of the radiator.. That or try to figure out a different mounting location for it. I have the Verus hood vents.. Will look into getting spyder grille. I noticed the stock radiator had foam around the outside, the CSF aftermarket one I purchased did not have this and am thinking I should try to pick some up to help channel more air thru it. Not sure if there's a more powerful fan that available that I could put in. Thought about pulling the AC condenser out but I do still like to daily the car in the summer..

Running ethanol kinda out of the question for me I'm afraid lol...
IMG_20230505_191754.jpg
IMG_20230505_191754.jpg (602.53 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
IMG_20230506_221523.jpg
IMG_20230506_221523.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3568 times
PXL_20221224_221848544.jpg
PXL_20221224_221848544.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 3568 times
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Now that I see you have stock grille I would indeed start with the CarbonMiata Grille to about double the open square inches in the nose for air to hit all those coolers. Notice with stock grill only bottom half open for air to hit all the radiators. And I suggest skip the version with lights, you need ALL the air you can get. And consider no front license plate or put it where it is not blocking so much of the grille, like use the Platypus mount to put it off to side and not pressed against grille. We don't run a front plate at all on ours.

https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2195.html
CarbonMiata Spyder Grille
2016-2023
USA Supply!

All the cup cars use this grille for sufficient cooling.
Grille2Global1.jpg
Grille2Global1.jpg (265.07 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Mazda Platypus Pro-Series License Plate Mount
2016-2023
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RobertM931

Post by RobertM931 »

That's exactly what I just put an order in for :P

Do you guys have an oil temperature sensor installed to monitor your oil temps?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, we don't offer an oil temp setup, we used something general off-the-shelf. Now that we offer the ND Moroso oil pan we have extra connection bungs in it to make it easy to monitor oil temps. Prior to that we had it inline measuring temps before and after the oil cooler as we tested a number of different sizes.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com