NC Failing ball joint symptom?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
SunlightSilver

NC Failing ball joint symptom?

Post by SunlightSilver »

2007 with 128K well cared for miles.
About two weeks ago when backing out of parking space while turning, heard a distinctive pop from the right front...seemed to come from behind the wheel. At times, when breaking, I will get the same sound. Almost a metallic sound like something is shifting.

I got the car off the ground and looked for anything obvious, including the adjustable end links that I've installed 6 months or so. I checked everything that seemed obvious to check. With the car on the jack stands, used my jack to raise/lower the tire but could not duplicate the sound. I did hear a sound at pretty much the same point when the spring was pretty compressed, but was not the sound I hear when driving.

About two months ago, I installed the new Roadstersport X Brace, and wondered if it was maybe shifting under the nuts, so I removed it this afternoon and took a drive. Drove several miles with no noise, so thought maybe that was it, until...we stopped for frozen yogurt, and while backing out of the spot, heard the pop. Heard it again shortly afterwards when braking.

Drove a number of additional miles, with no noise, but when I ran over a reflector in the road, thought I heard the noise...so then ran over a number of reflectors and seemed to hear it when the front wheel went over the reflectors. When pulling into our driveway, there's a slight incline, and I could get the noise of occur when the right front wheel would traverse the point where the incline begins. I had my wife stand by the car and she thought the sound was coming from between the wheel and the base of the windshield. It's almost a metallic sound like it's being generated by the body work.

Does this sound symptomatic of a failing ball joint? If not, any recommendations on what to check before I take it to a shop?

Thanks!