Will a Super-Q Twin Tip fit with a Curt Hitch on an ND1?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
TimM214

Will a Super-Q Twin Tip fit with a Curt Hitch on an ND1?

Post by TimM214 »

Hi, I have a 2016 ND Club edition (MT), and just recently purchased a Curt Class 1 hitch to carry my bike. Was planning to purchase a Super Q Twin Tip muffler (keeping the rest of the exhaust stock) as well, and install them both at the same time. I saw a post that this combo does not fit on an NC, but might fit on an ND. Can Brian, Ryan, or someone else answer this question definitively? I don't want to buy the muffler only to discover that it doesn't fit. Thanks!
Ryan @ GWR

Re: Will a Super-Q Twin Tip fit with a Curt Hitch on an ND1?

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Unfortunately customers have reported that the Curt does not clear the ND Super Q mufflers, either single or twin tip variants.
Since you're looking at getting the Super Q Twin Tip, I'd recommend the Hard Dog Hideaway Hitch, as that does clear that muffler.

https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-P ... -1846.html

And for others searching for answers on this subject, for those with the Super Q Header Version Single Tip, that one has a slightly different layout that shifts the muffler canister back a bit to make room for the extra resonator upstream, which means it doesn't clear the Hard Dog or the Curt hitch options. For that muffler, the only hitch that I've heard reported to clear is the Paco.
TimM214

Post by TimM214 »

Thanks for the info, Ryan. Unfortunately I've already purchased the Curt hitch - it's in a box in my garage - so unless I pay shipping to return it, I'll need to keep it. Plus I like this hitch - it's also on my Mazda 5 - and I'd heard a bit about the Hard Dog hitch leading to damage to NC's over time so that I was a little wary of it. Back to the drawing board...thanks again.
TimM214

Post by TimM214 »

I wanted to follow up with the solution to my fitting the Super-Q twin tip muffler and a bike hitch. I returned the Curt hitch that I'd ordered, and ordered and installed the Paco Motorsports hitch, as well as the Super-Q muffler. The Paco hitch is lighter and lighter duty than the Curt or the Hard Dog, which is fine with me because I only intend to carry my bike with it (no trailer). The two parts fit well, were easy to install, and function great.
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG (4.02 MiB) Viewed 4053 times
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 4053 times
JohnM918

Post by JohnM918 »

Thanks for posting the follow-up....looks like you chose a great combination.