CS Koni Bump stop Recommendation

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
CourtF986

CS Koni Bump stop Recommendation

Post by CourtF986 »

I keep reading different reviews, looking for input. C street ND2 with progress bar, looking for more rotation (coming from a V8 XA class car, so I'm used to big rotation). Recently got a set of Koni Sports and want to set them up with the best setup to help rotation. This car is driven to work on nice days so maintaining some decent ride quality would be nice if possible.

I've seen using the following setups all around and wanted to get input

Brians testing
Front: unknown ?? (possibly gwr soft)
Rear: Two 58mm GWR hard bumpstops, top nub shaved off to stock length

Front: gwr Soft
Rear: Medium + sliver of Hard bumpstop

2022 Nats CS winner
Front: stock cut down ½"
Rear: Penske Blue

from the gwr website:
front: medium
rear: Hard (is one bump stop tall enough each side or do you need to purchase 4?)
Brian
Site Admin

Re: CS Koni Bump stop Recommendation

Post by Brian »

No wrong answer here, I have had at least dozen different rear combos that worked, my ND thread here same page shows what is on the car currently. Front OEM stops cut in half and I used the smaller half.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
CourtF986

Post by CourtF986 »

I did a ton of searching around on your builds and that was what I came up with. Makes sense for the front!

In the rear did you like the 58mm hard bump stops the best? You said the rotation was pretty intense at first. That combo required FOUR bump stops, right? Two cut down on each side to stock length.
Do you remember how it rode with that setup?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We are starting on alternative material for rear, currently my favorite was this one. That is two of our hards back to back and shaved down a hair shorter than stock rear ND2 stops. I have been through numerous variations on this idea and nothing has been better. Takes a bit of training as the driver to get accustomed to it because this will bring the rear around rather suddenly when you hit it. But if you can smoothly get into that second cone of 5 cone or longer slalom then the car will sit on this and you can keep adding gas and exit the slalom 10mph or better speed than you started it.
Attachments
HardHardStopA.jpg
HardHardStopA.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MatthewH974

Post by MatthewH974 »

Are you gluing these together for the rear? And what would you do with the Penske blues?

Double bump stops rest on the shock body and keep the metal hat piece by itself at the top of the shock?
MatthewH974

Post by MatthewH974 »

Ah, surprise - looks like a friction fit, at least to start.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, no glue, friction fit and they don't do anything anyway until squished from both sides.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com