NA 1.6 with automatic (3 speed plus OD) .....to ND 6 speed automatic

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JohnM918

NA 1.6 with automatic (3 speed plus OD) .....to ND 6 speed automatic

Post by JohnM918 »

I have and LOVE a 2020 MX-5 RF GT with manual trans and a whole lot of bits from GoodWin Racing..... and a darn near bone stock 1991 Miata with an automatic (wifes car). the 1991 1.6 liter isnt strong by any stretch and probably should have a turbocharger installed. The real "Weak spot" is the 1980's style automatic transmission. Does anyone know if a ND automatic can be used in an NA ??

The ND automatic is vastly better than the NA automatic. I assume it isn't going to be something that I should attempt... but the 91 is in great shape and doesn't have many miles on it.
BillK336

Re: NA 1.6 with automatic (3 speed plus OD) .....to ND 6 speed automatic

Post by BillK336 »

The answer to your question is “yes, certainly, with time, money, and engineering.”
The latter will include electronics and firmware development…
I think the question that should be asked is “Honey, do you want a new transmission in your Miata?”
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Anything is possible, but in this case there is really no relationship between ND and NA except both made by Mazda. So, we are talking 100 percent custom fabrication to get ND transmission into an NA.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JohnM918

Post by JohnM918 »

Thanks Brian

The NA should have a manual... but I bought this one with an automatic because my wife doen't drive a stick ... (and I like it that way ;she never wants to use my ND) but the weakest part of the car is the old '80s style 3 speed plus OD automatic. I doubt if it is worth the sost if it would take total custom fabrication... I hoped they would "bolt up" and there would be a stand alone computer to hanle the trans. I see that there are lightly used ND automatics available from several sources at very reasonable prices.