2008 NC1 Borla Muffler - Best Header/Cat Combo?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
GeorgeW863

2008 NC1 Borla Muffler - Best Header/Cat Combo?

Post by GeorgeW863 »

Ok, so I've read and read and looked and looked and I just need a little guidance, not ashamed to ask. I have a 2008 NC1, 2L, manual, convertible. I replaced the original muffler with a Borla and love the sound and the (small) performance boost it gave. Now, its time to go deeper. I read all about CAIs and the consensus seems to be the OEM CAI is good enough. I need a header and high flow cat and I gather a couple of O2 sensor wire extensions. I'm looking for some kind of a header/cat combo purchase from Good-Win. Not looking to get race loud, a sound increase is not my objective, a little more oomph and better exhaust flow is the objective. I think I want the RoadsterSport MAX Power 1.8 Inch NC Stainless Steel Header, but choosing what to connect behind that is where I'm stumped. I don't live in CA and never will, but I do have to pass emissions so a cat is still required. Done all my own car and truck service and repairs for the last 50+ years, so I have some tools and some skills. Can you folks be kind and point me to the right parts for header and cat to get me back to the pipe feeding my Borla?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2008 NC1 Borla Muffler - Best Header/Cat Combo?

Post by Brian »

The issue with the big header that lacks a cat, besides emissions, is that Borla muffler will go from fun to unbearably loud with unbearable drone. Not our first rodeo, that Borla was not made to handle the sound unleashed with full catless header. Thus, if you intend to keep the Borla, and you need to pass emissions, then you need converter in the header and another converter in the midpipe and I would have a look at our Magnaflow CARB legal header and CARB legal midpipe, both of which are emissions legal in all states and yet flow a lot better than stock. And though they will raise the sound with the higher flowing designs the Borla will likely still be tolerable on the end of that combo.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com